[Solved] Table of contents is at top of EVERY PAGE

Discuss the word processor
Dingodarrel

[Solved] Table of contents is at top of EVERY PAGE

Post by Dingodarrel »

i just added a table of contents to my document and it is showing up at the top of every single page in the whole document. what is this.. why, how do i fix, please.
Last edited by robleyd on Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]
openoffice 4.1.6 on windows 7
FJCC

Re: Table of contents is at top of EVERY PAGE

Post by FJCC »

I suspect you mistakenly put the table of contents in the header. If it is not already on, turn on the menu item View -> Text Boundaries to see this more clearly. You can also see if there is a header by looking at the menu item Insert -> Header. If this is what happened, you will have to delete the table of contents and insert it in the normal text area of whatever page it belongs on.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Dingodarrel

Post by Dingodarrel »

yes that was it thanks.
how can i delete the header box sitting above the normal text area?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Go to Insert | Header - Default is probably checked. Uncheck it. You should see a warning about deleting the content of the header, even if there is no content.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Dingodarrel

Post by Dingodarrel »

Thanks
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Table of contents is at top of EVERY PAGE

Post by RoryOF »

To prevent this happening, turn on /View /Text boundaries, /View /non printing charactrs, and /View /Field shadings. These will give you the boundaries surrounding your text areas, show you the low level construction of your text, and bring any usage of fields to your attention by giving them a shaded background. None of these effects will print, but they are most useful during construction of a document. Most serious users of Writer will have them on all the time: they take a litte getting used to, but often help sort out formatting problems.

You can at any time turn on or off each individual setting, according to your likes or needs.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS