Can't Open Same Doc on 2 different computers

Discuss the word processor
DaveinJapan

Can't Open Same Doc on 2 different computers

Post by DaveinJapan »

Hey everyone. So I'm trying to access the same doc from one computer to another, using Google Drive for that purpose. I realize it's impossible to open them at the same time, but even when I close it on one computer and wait a couple minutes, I can't open it on the other.
I get the message that says "locked for editing" along with options to view read only, or open a copy, but when I try those options OpenOffice crashes.
I searched for hidden files to see if the .locked file was to blame, but there was nothing there. I also made sure that Google Drive stopped updating before attempting to open the files, but that didn't seem to help either. However, if I wait 10-15 minutes the problem seems to go away.
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! :super:
OpenOffice 4.1.3 / Mac OS
RoryOF

Re: Can't Open Same Doc on 2 different computers

Post by RoryOF »

Check that the language selected for the skipped portion is the same language selected for the checked portion. Do this by positioning cursor in either area, and the language at that location is shown in the middle of the Status Bar (bottom bar of OO Window).

There may be a .lock file in the root of the OO User profile. This can be deleted if OO is closed.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
DaveinJapan

Post by DaveinJapan »

Thank you so much. I'll check those things!

While the doc was closed, OO was still open, which might be part of the problem. I'll check it out.

VERY helpful. Thanks!
DaveinJapan

Post by DaveinJapan »

I tried checking the language, and that solved the problem nicely. However, the red squiggly lines are still missing. Any suggestions for fixing that?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The quick way to sort most spellcheck problems is to rename or delete the OO User Profile. On a Mac, Hagar's Tutorial says
For Mac users:
  • /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice/4/user or /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org/3/user
    NB: on OS X version 10.7.xx (Lion) the user/library can be accessed in finder by holding down the option key an clicking on Go on the menubar. Then select the user library.
    This is one of nineteen ways to see the user library. See 18 ways to view the ~/Library folder in Lion
With OO closed, user should be renamed to user.old, or simply deleted.

If you have customisation, such as user dictionaries or extensions installed, rename, otherwise it is safe to delete. OpenOffice should on next startup prompt you for your name/initals; that is a sign that you have correctly renamed or deleted the User Profile. Note that, doing eiither of these will lose the shortcuts to the last ten files edited, which are shown in OO's /Files /Recent documents. These are merely shortcuts; as you use /File /Open and navigate to each of these files and reopen it (you do know where they are, don't you?), they will once again reappear on that shortcut list.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

From the Libreoffice help:
https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Collaboration

I never tried it, and I do not know if it works (or not) with Apache OpenOffice and on the Google Drive.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.