[Solved] How do turn off AutoCorrect on 3 dots

Discuss the word processor
firestorm31

[Solved] How do turn off AutoCorrect on 3 dots

Post by firestorm31 »

How do I turn off autocorrect when i type 3 dots and it becomes a single character containing 3 dots?
Last edited by firestorm31 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dilbert Firestorm
RusselB

Re: how do turn off autocorrect on 3 dots

Post by RusselB »

I'm going to say to look in your Auto-Correct settings.
I can't verify that this is where you need to look, as I don't get a single character containing 3 dots when I type 3 dots.
This may be due to a difference in the language files that are being used, as I use the file for Canadian English.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: How do turn off AutoCorrect on 3 dots

Post by John_Ha »

Tools > AutoCorrect Options > Replace. It's the second one in my list - it is an ellipsis. Highlight it > Delete.
If this solves the problem, please edit your original post title to [Solved].
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
firestorm31

Re: [Solved] How do turn off AutoCorrect on 3 dots

Post by firestorm31 »

I made this thread 5 years ago. so I was remiss in saying thanx for the tip. apparently the updates restored the ellipsis.

it works again!

lol!

btw, what's the purpose of the ellipsis?
Dilbert Firestorm
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

An ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, 'omission' or 'falling short') is a series of dots (typically three, such as "…") that usually indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It might also be used in reported conversation when a speaker does not finish a sentence and allows his voice to trail off, or to mark a pause for thought on part of the speaker, he then continuing his sentence
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS