Mathtype6.7h with OpenOffice 4.1.6 on macOS Sierra

Discuss the word processor
lostincyberspace

Mathtype6.7h with OpenOffice 4.1.6 on macOS Sierra

Post by lostincyberspace »

I am trying to switch to OpenOffice after my version of MathType has become incompatible with the version of Word. I don't get the possibility of inserting OLE objects other than the default ones in OpenOffice. How can I get OpenOffice to open MathType and save the result ?
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on macOS Sierra 10.12.6
RusselB

Re: Mathtype6.7h with OpenOffice 4.1.6 on macOS Sierra

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
Being unfamiliar with MathType, I did a quick Google search, the results of which lead me to believe it is the equivalent of OpenOffice's Math.
If you did a default installation, this should be listed along with OpenOffice Calc, OpenOffice Writer, OpenOffice Draw (etc.) in your programs menu.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
keme
Volunteer

Re: Mathtype6.7h with OpenOffice 4.1.6 on macOS Sierra

Post by keme »

@lostincyberspace:
Check whether MathType has been blocked by System settings - Security. If the solution cannot be found there, try to close all OpenOffice/LibreOffice applications, then uninstall and reinstall MathType. It should then connect properly to the applications.

You could also try MathType v.7. That may have better integration on new versions of OS-X, but the licensing model and pricing looks to be different. There still is a 30-day trial.

@RusselB:
MathType provides a few options not available in Math. The only one I remember at the moment is the left/right harpoon, commonly used in chemical equations to signify equilibrium, but I know there are a couple of others. MathType also offer easier assignment of hotkeys to operations, and has a different graphical interface which some users prefer. Some educational sites also provide science/math material in MathType format, so you need that software to work efficiently with your studies.

The one area where I find that AOO/LO Math wins over MathType (and the reason why I prefer Math) is for large volume formula entry by keyboard. You have to learn the keywords first, but when you have that down you can work faster than with mouse clicking and dragging.