[Solved] Make Writer the default AOO application that opens

Discuss the word processor
PPLIFE

[Solved] Make Writer the default AOO application that opens

Post by PPLIFE »

I would like to know how to set up Open Office to open as a Text Document rather than having to choose from the list every time. In other words I am trying to skip this window here in the image below.
The window I am trying to skip
The window I am trying to skip

In addition (if I can get the answer on this thread I won't have to start a new thread about it), how do you change the default screen size of the page? It opens too wide and I have to adjust the size each time which is kinda frustrating.
This is the size I am getting now
This is the size I am getting now
This is the size I prefer to open by default
This is the size I prefer to open by default
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.6, MacOS 10.10.5, Win 8.1
robleyd

Re: How to make Writer the default OO application that opens

Post by robleyd »

Most likely when you installed AOO it added a number of shortcuts to the individual components - Writer, Calc etc. - in addition to the shortcut that opens the application chooser you see; look for a shortcut to AOO Writer and use that instead.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
PPLIFE

Post by PPLIFE »

robleyd wrote:Most likely when you installed AOO it added a number of shortcuts to the individual components - Writer, Calc etc. - in addition to the shortcut that opens the application chooser you see; look for a shortcut to AOO Writer and use that instead.
On Windows (Bootcamp) it did but not on the Mac side. I only have one OpenOffice to launch.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Then perhaps you could use whatever tools OSX provides to create your own shortcut? I'm not familiar with the installation of AOO on Mac, but on other systems there is an executable swriter which will start writer.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

PPLIFE wrote:I would like to know how to set up Open Office to open as a Text Document rather than having to choose from the list every time.
Opening Screen

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
PPLIFE

Post by PPLIFE »

The links provided didn't help me because it seems those were mere discussion of the same problem that I had. I think there was some kind of Extension to disable that opening screen but I couldn't find it.

I went inside the OpenOffice Application and I found the swriter Unix Executable file. This is located in /Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/MacOS. You can double click it and open Writer directly but it opens through a Terminal. So I took robleyd's suggestion and with the assistance of Google I created a simple Application bundle for the Writer by doing the following:

Step 1: open Apple Script Editor from Spotlight search.

Step 2: write this command

to run
do shell script "/Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/swriter"
end run

Step 3: Save it as an application bundle by going to File menu-Export. Choose a Name (I used 'OpenOfficeWriter') then changed the file format to Application then I saved it in the Applications folder. Save and close the Script Editor.

Now go to the Applications folder and run the Application you have saved. You can Dock it just like other applications. In reality this really opens the original OpenOffice Application, it only bypass that opening screen that I was crying about.

Interesting enough, it also opens OpenOfficeWriter in the correct size and not that wide size that I was also trying to fix earlier! Killing two birds with one stone.