Keeps Randomly Closing Mid-Writing

Discuss the word processor
FerreTrip

Keeps Randomly Closing Mid-Writing

Post by FerreTrip »

For some strange reason, OO has been stopping and closing itself in the middle of my writing, most often on a certain file :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: I updated to the current version, but it still does that. I copied the text and pasted it into a new file, but it still does that. What's going on, and more importantly, how can I stop it? I've got stories to write! :cry:
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Help! Keeps Randomly Closing Mid-Writing

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the forums.
My first suggestion, is make a back-up of your file, as random closing of a file can lead to file corruption. This is a preventative measure to help keep your data safe, not part of my suggestions for resolving the problem.
Regarding the actual closing of the program, have you tried running OpenOffice in Safe mode? As you are using Windows 10 (which I detest), I'm unable to advise you as to how to get into Safe Mode. Hopefully you know how, or someone else can provide the information.
If you have no problems in Safe Mode, then the problem lies with some software that you have installed on your system.
If you do still have problems, then I suggest resetting your OpenOffice User Profile, as described here
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Re: Help! Keeps Randomly Closing Mid-Writing

Post by RoryOF »

It has been reported that a Windows 10 update of about six months ago caused instability in OO and that a later update cured this. I suggest you should tell Windows 10 to update itself fully (may take some time - perhaps leave it to do so overnight?).

If your problem continues with that one file, you could upload it to Forum or a filesharing site for examination. As a workaround, I suggest you truncate it before the area you suspect causes the problems, and continue writing from that point in a new file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FerreTrip

Re: Keeps Randomly Closing Mid-Writing

Post by FerreTrip »

Alright, after working in Safe Mode for a while, I've determined that it's Windows. I've had Windows update, but it still keeps shutting itself off. It's getting to the point where my mom is offering to give me a copy of Microsoft Office. I like my OpenOffice, though. Maybe I haven't updated fully? What exactly happened in the update to cause OpenOffice to become unstable and how can I fix this?
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Keeps Randomly Closing Mid-Writing

Post by RusselB »

I don't think anyone here knows exactly what happened in the update to cause the problems.
Rory already made the suggestion for the, currently known, fix. Namely let Windows 10 do a full and complete update. You may have to do this in steps, as an update can download and then attempt to install, but the installation of that update fails.
If that happens, and the only way to tell is to look at the list of updates, where it will show each update and if the update was successful or not.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.