Document was saved, restarted cpu and document not found

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
nichijuu

Document was saved, restarted cpu and document not found

Post by nichijuu »

My daughter got onto my computer to use RoBlox (she isn't allowed to as this MacBook Air is kind of getting old and I use this for my writing only. thus she snuck onto my cpu/laptop).

I went to work on my book, I had saved it throughout the morning, last update was around 11AM EST, she was on 11:47AM EST, computer froze at 12:40PM, restarted manually, first time OpenOffice crashed. 2nd time, I restarted, OpenOffice open but the file is NOWHERE To be found :'(

I have tried going to the library.. tried temp. not sure what had happened! it is like my mac deleted that one file lol

how can I recover it??? 148 pages typed up too! and I saved it so many times throughout the morning and past few days!
MacOS Sierra 10.12.06 openoffice 4.1.3
RoryOF

Re: document was saved, restarted cpu and document not found

Post by RoryOF »

The file should be on the disk in the directory (or folder) in which it was saved. It is possible thet OpenOffice has lost its recent documents list in the crash, but using /File /Open you sdhould be able to navigate to the location of the file and open it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
nichijuu

Post by nichijuu »

How do I do that in Mac ? What are the steps?
nichijuu

Post by nichijuu »

actually it is any documents I had opened today isn't appearing on my finder list no my mac. ugh lol... just odd. this is the first time this has happened to me.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Perhaps this web search will help you.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
nichijuu

Post by nichijuu »

That is to find missing files on mac lol not files tbat was randomly corrupted by OpenOffice. It is like yhe files vanished!
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Either:
1) the document is still there - see the link I posted above; or

2)The document is deleted somehow - Download Recuva (Windows only) or PhotoRec for Win, MacOS, Linux and other OSes (only one needed) and let it do an in-depth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful.

If you are new to Mac and Apache OpenOffice, you may find [Tutorial] Mac FAQ a useful resource.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Re: Document was saved, restarted cpu and document not found

Post by RoryOF »

The sooner you look for a deleted or temporary document, the better the chances of finding it, as continued use of the computer may overwrite the area in which it resides.

It is also good to make regular timed/dated backups, particularly with any document of importance. This extension helps with that process. You can download it from
viewtopic.php?p=406045#p405921

Note that you must invoke it separately using its button; it does not replace the standard save mechanism.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS