[Solved] Frequency distribution - error #Value

Discuss the spreadsheet application
DocC

[Solved] Frequency distribution - error #Value

Post by DocC »

I have been struggling with a hit-up in Calc that might be of my own making (admittedly). I've been trying to do a frequency distribution, but each time that I try to use the function button, and start the process, I get an error message: #VALUE!

I engage the formula function by applying FUNCTION under the all spread and then click next. After this, I highlight the column for the data selection, then I highlight the other column of bin parameters that I created [see attachment].

I then make sure Array is checked and click Okay.

Then I get the #VALUE! error message.

Any help getting my frequency distribution up and running would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply [robleyd, Moderator].. Was asking for expertise
Attachments
Bin.jpeg
Bin.jpeg (37.68 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun May 26, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
D. Crohan Open Office 3.2.1 MAC 10.13.1
robleyd

Re: Frequency distribution - error #Value

Post by robleyd »

You forgot to mention which function you are using that is giving you the error. You have also posted an image which tells us nothing about what you have done; this is akin to taking a picture of your car to the auto technician and telling him "Something is wrong with my car - please fix it now".

The error #Value is described in the Help - F1 thus:
#VALUE
No result (#VALUE is in the cell rather than Err:519!)
The formula yields a value that does not corresponds to the definition, or a cell that is referenced in the formula contains a text string instead of a number.

Perhaps you could upload a sample file showing the issue you are having. [Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire and post the link here. The link also contains information on how to anonymise your document if it contains confidential information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

If you are using the FREQUENCY() function, the bins have to be single numbers. These represent the upper limit of the bin. In the attached file, the first bin is for values up to 25. The second bin is for value > 25 and <= 28.
Attachments
Freq.ods
(9.77 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
DocC

Post by DocC »

Thank you much for your directions. You were right; the way I had set up the bins was the problem.

The tutorial Had used was really off and without your help I wouldn't have realized this. I'm glad I included the pic to help you, but I cant thank you enough for the good guidance and it was really helpful. Thanks again.

Are there any books or online tutorials that you would recommend for stats work and for graphing the results?

Thanks again for all you help!
D. Crohan Open Office 3.2.1 MAC 10.13.1