[Solved] Error in sub document xml

Discuss the word processor
dimitalas

[Solved] Error in sub document xml

Post by dimitalas »

Hello everyone!

I have a problem with the document of my bachelor thesis, it does not open anymore and just shows the error note: "Read Error. Format error is discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2.3772 (row,col)."

I have seen that many people have had this problem. There are some instructions to solve it and I am trying all day but it just made me nuts.. :crazy: I am not made for those things..

Can anybody help me please?? I would be so greatful :!:

I have uploaded the document with this post (as zip because the other was too big...)

Regards,

D
Attachments
UNTITLED_ANNE-postwendend Zwei - BEARBEITET (1) Kopie.odt.zip
(125.4 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.2.1
RoryOF

Re: Error in sub document xml

Post by RoryOF »

Please send me a PM with an email address to which I can send the repaired file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For the record, the usual multiple Annotation text near the top of the file (Track changes enabled)
dimitalas

Post by dimitalas »

RoryOF, I cant believe it that was so quick.. thank you so much! I will look out for some person that I can help with anything I can do better to make up for it!! :)
Open Office 4.2.1
CannedMan

Re: [Solved] Error in sub document xml

Post by CannedMan »

I am having the very same problem that the OP wrote. However, I do not understand what is meant by ‘For the record, the usual multiple Annotation text near the top of the file (Track changes enabled)’, so I have no idea how to fix the problem. My error is reported in 2,47353, which contains

Code: Select all

<text:span text:style-name="T3">,
… the equals sign being the spot. It seems to be exactly what all the other such tags contain; I am at a loss at how to fix it.

I have included the file, for ease.

Here is the error message:
Lesefeil. [Reading error.]
Fann formatfeil i fila i underdokumentet content.xml ved 2,47343(row,col). [Found formatting error in the file in the sub document content.xml at 2,47343(row,col).]
Attachments
Eksamensmal, nynorsk.ott
The template in which the error is reported.
(24.8 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 / LibreOffice 7.0.0.3 on Windows 10 (x64)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My note of "For the record... " etc applied only to the file under discussion and was a note of the type of error for other persons who fix SAXparse errors. It is not relevant to your file.

I am currently examining your file, which seems to have a different error, in a location I have not seen before. But Real Life calls, amd I may not complete examination until later.
CannedMan

Post by CannedMan »

Thank you for your quick reply! It is not a crisis; I am quite able to work with what I've got presently; I’ll just recreate the styles I need in between to the template when I can get it to work again. If you are able to help me solve it, I would be very happy to learn how you go about doing it, so I can better do this myself at a later point; it wouldn’t surprise me if this happens again. I like the stability of OOo, but I love the OpenType support of LO; the stability of LO has been an issue on earlier occasions, though.

Whenever you have time, RoryOF, I will be happily awaiting your next reply.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm not getting anywhere with your file. My OO won't open it, but my archive manager will. I have checked all the internal files and they are being reported as correct.

I have requested another (experienced) user to examine it. I'm now going for a walk!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The problem is in file content.xml; this passes using the tools I have to hand as being well formed, but the OP's computer reports it as having an internal error, which I am not finding. I suspect the error reported is actually wrong - perhaps some side effect of another currently undetected problem.

Analysis is still ongoing.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The file in question is saved as a Template (.ott); examining it interally, I see much information, such as a bibliography and cross-references, that initially I question the need for in a template.

I will be offline this morning.
CannedMan

Post by CannedMan »

The reason the file has actual visible content, is for me to be able to see what things look like when adding new styles; keeping the text is of no consequence. I might add that I based the template file you received on another template I already have, changing only the parts that were relevant for that written language (as you might know, Norway has two official written languages in addition to the minority ones: Bokmål and Nynorsk). The template file worked for a full day’s work, after having applied the other template to this template, then suddenly failed for no apparent reason.

Again, thanks for taking the time! I am really looking forward to learning what went wrong.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Was this document at any time handled and saved from LibreOffice?

I ask because I have seen another document originating from LibreOffice that my OO cannot open, and which displays similarly to your document in AbiWord, although only in both cases only partially?
CannedMan

Post by CannedMan »

It is a LibreOffice document, yes; to the best of my knowledge, only LibreOffice has full OpenType support, which is why I ended up migrating to it. I am sorry I didn't mention it; I didn't realise it made any difference.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It seems to be making some difference, but just what and why I cannot say.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

This is a bug in AOO, but not in LO, when track changes is ON and a user deletes two comments each of which is attached to a range of characters.

See Issue 128356 - Track Changes and Annotations on text range can cause corruption. Applies to 4.x (all versions?)
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.