[Solved) Several attributes in same cell

Discuss the spreadsheet application
RayBir

[Solved) Several attributes in same cell

Post by RayBir »

Hi, as i got an allmost immediate response to my last question, i was so impressed i just had to try again. (Pushing my luck maybe?)
OK, so usually if i want to give a formula different attributes (bold text, inderlined, red text, green text etc) then i would normally do that by creating several columns and each cell in each column would contain the word with its attribute:
as per example:
The sentence or formula reads "=TODAY() (bold red text)", "Bank balance (black text underlined)" etc etc.
Is it possible to do that in a single cell formula please? The Bank balance amount is fed manually, not from some outside link!

Normaly, like i said, i would devide that into several columns on the same row, with each cell having it's own attribute.

Thanks in advance. I do hope you understand?
Last edited by RayBir on Tue May 21, 2019 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on MacOS Catalina 10.15.1
FJCC

Re: Several attributes in same cell

Post by FJCC »

I am not sure I understand what you want because of how you are using the term formula. One does not format a formula because what is of interest is the result returned by the formula, not the formula itself.
If you want to format part of the text in a cell, that can be done. Double click on the cell to get it in edit mode. You can then use the mouse to select part of the text and apply formatting to it.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The sentence or formula reads "=TODAY() (bold red text)", "Bank balance (black text underlined)" etc etc.
Is it possible to do that in a single cell formula please? The Bank balance amount is fed manually, not from some outside link!
It is not possible to format the parts of a result differently by a formula. You can do it manually only, but you can format the string constants only by this method - but not the results of the formulas.

Use two adjacent Cells to display the parts: and format the Cells differently by Cell styles.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RayBir

Post by RayBir »

FJCC wrote:I am not sure I understand what you want because of how you are using the term formula. One does not format a formula because what is of interest is the result returned by the formula, not the formula itself.
If you want to format part of the text in a cell, that can be done. Double click on the cell to get it in edit mode. You can then use the mouse to select part of the text and apply formatting to it.
That works - many thanks!! I didn't realise that you could actually format each and every word in a text!!
Many thanks!! :bravo:
RayBir

Post by RayBir »

Zizi64 wrote:
It is not possible to format the parts of a result differently by a formula. You can do it manually only, but you can format the string constants only by this method - but not the results of the formulas.

Use two adjacent Cells to display the parts: and format the Cells differently by Cell styles.
Yes, two adjacent cells is what i have been doing. I think i have it now!
Many thanks again for such quick response!! 8-) 8-)