[Solved] Extension DBDocShortCuts-1.0.1.oxt in macOS

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
charlie.it
Volunteer

[Solved] Extension DBDocShortCuts-1.0.1.oxt in macOS

Post by charlie.it »

Hi everyone, I downloaded and installed this extension which creates a desktop shortcut for database documents such as forms and reports.
DBDocShortCuts-1.0.1.oxt
(7.22 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
It works well in Windows (AOO and, with some modifications, even LO) but not in macOS.
Do you know what changes need to be made? Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Schermata 2019-05-19 alle 12.11.01.png
Schermata 2019-05-19 alle 12.11.01.png (10.13 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
Schermata 2019-05-19 alle 12.11.14.png
Last edited by charlie.it on Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlie
Italian AOO Admin
macOS 14 Sonoma M1: Open Office 4.1.15 - LibreOffice 7.5.7.1

http://www.charlieopenoffice.altervista.org
MrProgrammer

Re: Extension DBDocShortCuts-1.0.1.oxt in macOS

Post by MrProgrammer »

charlie.it wrote:Do you know what changes need to be made?
I do not use that extension. I cannot find any documentation for that extension. A user's desktop on MacOS is /Users/Username/Desktop not /home/mac/Desktop, Perhaps the "shortcut command" is "ln -s". I don't know what the extension will do with that setting. A command to create a symbolic link on MacOS would be:
ln -s path/DatabaseNameOrReportFile ~/Desktop/ShortcutLabel
~/Desktop is the current user's desktop. After that command, using Finder to open ShortcutLabel on the Desktop is the same as using Finder to open path/DatabaseNameOrReportFile; on MacOS the shortcut doesn't need to know the application (soffice location). I don't understand "Shortcut type", but maybe that is needed for Windows. One can create symbolic links in any directory, not just the desktop. MacOS also provides the ~/Library/Favorites directory as a location to store commonly used files.

In Finder one can easily create shortcuts/links/aliases by locating the file, holding Option and Command, then dragging the file to the desktop or elsewhere. The drag shows a black arrow on the file during this operation to show that Option+Command is creating a pointer to the original file. The pointer has all the information needed to find the original file and application. The pointer on the desktop will have the same file name as the original file, however one can rename it as desired. No extension is really needed for creating shortcuts to database documents on MacOS because Finder provides that feature. Finder → Help → Search → Alias has more information. This picture illustrates using Option+Command+Drag to create a pointer on the desktop to a spreadsheet in another folder. I don't use database forms and reports. You should be able to create pointers to a group of files by selecting them and O/C/dragging this set to the desktop.
Grab.jpg
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
charlie.it
Volunteer

Post by charlie.it »

Thank you for your kind reply that made me realize that I have to change the path from /home/mac/Desktop to /Users/Username/Desktop.
Now the extension, if I run the macro, creates a bash shortcut file on the desktop but it is an empty file and therefore I don't need it at all.
Even if I paste the generated code and open the bash file from terminal.

Code: Select all

/Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/Resources/../MacOS/soffice -invisible "macro:///DBDocShortCuts.runtime.openDBDoc(Fatture_2,Ricerca13,Report)"
For the rest of your advice, I'm not useful because I need to open a report file (which, as you know, is a Writer file) in a embedded database inside Base without opening Base.
This is the purpose of using the extension that works in Windows.
Thanks for your help.
charlie
Italian AOO Admin

charlie.it
Volunteer

Post by charlie.it »

With some help and many tests I managed to solve the problem due to the wrong paths for MacOS saved by the macro.
The right paths are those that appear in the dialog box.
I enclose the correct version of the extension in case you need someone.
Schermata 2019-05-21 alle 14.51.41.png
DBDocShortCutsMacOs-1.0.1.oxt
Extension for MacOS
(5.86 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
charlie
Italian AOO Admin