constant crashing problems

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
nomistic

constant crashing problems

Post by nomistic »

Hi,

I've seen this many times here, but unfortunately have been unable to find a solution. For quite a while now, OpenOffice has chosen to start crashing unexpectedly. The circumstance seem to be different, however lately it has been choosing to crash when I hit save, and of course, it does not save. I try to remember to save my work regularly, which usually helps, but not always. I rely heavily on OpenOffice, but this is causing me serious problems. It's mostly likely to occur when I have multiple documents open (which is often)

I have already attempted to change the user profile account (changing the old one to a different name, and then rebooting), but this had zero effect; the problem continues. (and I know reinstalls won't help). I can't choose to run it in safe mode as was oddly suggested to others; I use a lot of software at once.

I am using Windows 10. I gather this is something wrong with my system, as it clearly doesn't happen to everyone, but I'm hoping someone has some tips beyond the "change the user profile" answer which is all I can find as an answer.

Thank you in advance. (I am using 4.1.5 build 9789 Rev - 1817496)
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Remove Toxic Issue icon [robleyd, moderator]
Apache Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
AOO415m1(Build:9789) - Rev. 1817496
RoryOF

Re: constant crashing problems

Post by RoryOF »

Make sure all Windows 10 updates have been installed (and probably restart Win 10 after that). A bad Win 10 update caused many such problems; this was fixed in a later update.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Reboot Windows 10 in Safe mode https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -safe-mode. Run AOO and see if the issue still occurs. If it does not reoccur then something on your PC is causing the problem. Antivirus is one likely cause.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

nomistic wrote:I can't choose to run it in safe mode as was oddly suggested to others; I use a lot of software at once.
There is nothing odd about the suggestion. Running in Safe Mode is a diagnostic process - if it is OK in Safe Mode you know it is one of those programs which are started at boot which is causing the problem.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
nomistic

Post by nomistic »

Hi, coming back here. I'm having continued problems, however it varies quite a bit. I'm not sure if it's the same problem as before; it doesn't seem to crash as often while I'm in the middle of doing something, however it's a common problem whenever I leave things open for a while and come back. I can usually tell when it's about to crash. It starts to have trouble saving, or opening a new document causes it to shut down or stop responding, so I can at least make a copy of my changes and paste them into something else so I don't lose everything.

As I mentioned above (I'll remove the word "oddly," as that clearly got under someone's skin) "I can't choose to run it in safe mode as was ...suggested to others; I use a lot of software at once." I would love to do this in Safe mode but it would require me to be doing everything in safe mode for a while, which is just not an option. I'm inclined to believe it's %$#! Windows 10. The only software I have open most of the time are Open Office and Firefox, though this does vary a little.

I have tried creating a new profile; that didn't work. I tried running a Windows update (which took half the day; more than I can afford) which didn't work. This computer is a bit slow, so perhaps that the issue, but I cannot afford to purchase a new one. I have been using OO for years, but this problem has been persistant.

Again, running it in Safe Mode doesn't really help me, because I can't work that way for hours on end. Is there something I can use to run a trace in the background while I'm working? That way I can identify when it occurs, and provide the results when it does. If it really is a different piece of software, I may be able to modify my work habits (though that seems kind of an unacceptable requirement)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

nomistic wrote:Is there something I can use ...
Yes.

Do a test by running in Safe Mode and see if it crashes as before. Come back and tell us the result of the test and you will then get further guidance.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

OOo 3.1.X on Ms Windows XP
That is quite an elderly combination - have you updated? If so, please update your signature to let us know what you are currently using; How to update your signature
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
nomistic

Post by nomistic »

Updated the sig.

I'm noticing a pattern for these crashes. While this isn't the only circumstance, it seems to happen most often when the system goes to sleep and is woken up again and I start to work again. It will work for a while, but then I notice it most often when I try to insert a file or image, and it won't let me change directory... I know it's about to crash. at that moment I try to save it, however it often crashes at precisely that moment.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

One option is to not let your computer go to sleep. Modern computers don't use that much more energy in "awake" mode than they do in "sleep" mode.
At one time there was a significant difference, but that difference has been dropping more and more with each computer generation, to the point where it almost uses more power to wake your computer than to leave it running (depending on the amount of time, of course).
Another option, if you don't want to do that, is to save your work just before you go to leave the computer...that way if the computer does crash shortly after waking, all you have lost (maybe) is the work that you did since you woke your computer.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
gfleeger

Post by gfleeger »

I use Windows 7 and have OpenOffice 4.1.6. Previously had an earlier OpenOffice version (4.1.4?). At first, OpenOffice worked fine. But then it started crashing when I first start it, with both 4.1.4 and 4.1.6. Crashes several dozen time, whether any documents are open or not. After 2-3 dozen crashes and recoveries, it becomes stable, and I am fine. If I leave OpenOffice open and hibernate my computer instead of shutting it down, it remains stable. But if I close OpenOffice and then reopen it, even without rebooting, it will crash 2-3 dozen times before becoming stable. So it takes 20 minutes to a half hour after opening OpenOffice before I can use it.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The scenario you have described is contradictory to most, if not all, of the other reports that I can think of regarding this problem.
Is it possible that your anti-virus software is checking your installation of OpenOffice every time you start it up, rather than when you do the download and/or installation?
This is the only option that I can think of to explain why your version of OpenOffice becomes stable after a while, but not when first starting up.
If your anti-virus is checking OpenOffice when you start it up, then it may be using resources that OpenOffice is also trying to use, and your system is giving the priority to your anti-virus (imo, a good thing), rather than OpenOffice. Thus while your anti-virus is checking OpenOffice, OpenOffice is unstable due to lack of resources, yet becomes stable after the anti-virus check is done since the resources are released by the system from your anti-virus, and, thus, are now available to OpenOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This looks a candidate for starting Windows in Safe Mode, and running OpenOffice while Windows is in that mode. If OO is stable then, the problem is caused by some program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS