Crashes every time I try to save

Discuss the word processor
janesprints

Crashes every time I try to save

Post by janesprints »

It was working fine until today, when apparently Windows downloaded some crap update. I tried to save what I had written, it crashed, there were NO fancy formatting things or images, when I opened again the doc was retrieved blank. This happened whether I used Save or Save as. Also when I tried to open an existing document it crashed immediately. :oops: So, I uninstalled, downloaded again and reinstalled and the same thing happened. Could not find something like this on the forum, and NEED to write a document. Help!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Open Office 4.1.6 on windows 8.1
RusselB

Re: Crashes every time I try to save

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the forums
Since it was working before the Windows update, but now isn't, it seems obvious that the Windows update is at fault.
I'm going to suggest that you remove that update, then check if OpenOffice works again properly. If it does, then you need to keep that update from installing.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
janesprints

Post by janesprints »

I already did that. No change, even though it has not been re-added. In the interim I am having to use GoogleDocs but would really like to get OO working again.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Start Windows in Safe Mode, and try OO in that mode.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
janesprints

Post by janesprints »

Please remind me ofhow to start in safe mode. Forgot which F key to hit.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is years since I made any heavy use of Windows; at that time Safe Mode was obtained by pressing F8 key when computer indicated it was "starting windows".
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS