Can Ubuntu LibreOffice files be opened by Windows?

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
Quriliche

Can Ubuntu LibreOffice files be opened by Windows?

Post by Quriliche »

I have just started using Ubuntu and I like it. I have a concern, however, that has caused me to consider trying to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows.
THE CONCERN: I used a form of Linux (Fedora 30) for almost three years and some Windows users that I sent Open Office (odt) files to (attached to email) could not open the files. Even if I converted the Open Office files to MS Word files people often still could not open the files.
QUESTION: Can Ubuntu Libre Office files (Writer, Calc, Impress) be opened by Windows users?
Is this a problem that I should be concerned about?
RusselB

Re: Can Ubuntu Libre Office files be opened by Windows?

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
There should be no problems opening files made with LibreOffice on the Ubuntu OS using LibreOffice on a Windows OS
Can you confirm that the recipients were using LibreOffice (best option), OpenOffice (2nd best) or some other office suite? If the 3rd option, which suite was being used?

You also state that you converted the files to MS Word. How did you do the conversion?
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Can Ubuntu Libre Office files be opened by Windows?

Post by Zizi64 »

QUESTION: Can Ubuntu Libre Office files (Writer, Calc, Impress) be opened by Windows users?
The LibreOffice is a multiplatform, free open source office suite. Of course there is windows version too.
But you must use the international standard ODF file formats for a higher compatibility.

Maybe the different font sets on the different operating systems will cause some problems. Therefore it is better to use the free, opensource font families instead of the commercial fonts.
And you can embed the used fonts into an ODF type document, if the licence of the font allows you to embed them.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.