[Solved] What's an alternative to this Navigation Extension?

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
PPLIFE

[Solved] What's an alternative to this Navigation Extension?

Post by PPLIFE »

Hello,

One thing I have always wished OpenOffice had was the Navigator like one found in Pages where the Thumbnail bar when activated, each page appears as a thumbnail on the left side and you can quickly choose which page on the document you want to jump to.

I recently found this Extension called 'XVisualNavigator' (https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... lnavigator) which apparently can do just that. But unfortunately I haven't been able to install it, maybe because it hasn't been updated to work with OpenOffice 4. Is there an alternative Extension that can do the same thing?

I'll appreciate any help I can get.
Last edited by RoryOF on Wed May 15, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.6, MacOS 10.10.5, Win 8.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: I am looking for an alternative to this Navigation Exten

Post by Zizi64 »

There is a notation on the extension page:
This extension was not updated recently. It might not work with latest versions of OpenOffice.
The extensions are third party softwares. Try to ask the Author of the extension, or - because the extensions are open source softwares - you can try to update/fix the extension for the latest versions of the AOO or LO (or for the latest/installed version of Java - because that extension was written in Java)
(I just downloaded the extension, renamed it to .zip, and then examined the content of the .zip file. There are .jar files in the Zip archive of the .oxt extension.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
PPLIFE

Post by PPLIFE »

Thanks Zizi64,

It looks like the same extension works in Windows but I am having the problem only on Mac. If you don't mind guiding me, how do I update the extension as you described so that it works on Mac too?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

How are you trying to install it on your Mac computer? What is happening when you try to install it? Are there error messages?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

If you don't mind guiding me, how do I update the extension as you described so that it works on Mac too?
You must check, modify and/or fix the Java program code inside the .oxt extension.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Play with the page preview.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
PPLIFE

Post by PPLIFE »

robleyd wrote:How are you trying to install it on your Mac computer? What is happening when you try to install it? Are there error messages?
I try to install the extension in the normal way by using the Extension Manager. Two messages come up. One is asking me to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime (actually I didn't see this message until just now) and the second message is 'Binary URP bridge disposed during call'.

When I say OK to the second message, I get this message:

(com.sun.star.lang.DisposedException) { { { Message = "Binary URP bridge disposed during call", Context = (com.sun.star.uno.XInterface) @119a44cb8 } } }

Is is safe to install the legacy Java runtime?
Last edited by PPLIFE on Mon May 13, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

PPLIFE wrote:Is is safe to install the legacy Java runtime?
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q06/A06
 Edit: As usual, Villeroy's advice is good — use Print Preview to view small page images instead of wasting time on getting an old extension to work. 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue May 14, 2019 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
PPLIFE

Post by PPLIFE »

After installing legacy Java SE 6 runtime and restarted the computer, the installation went through but when activating the Extension I am getting this error message:

The path /C:/XVN does not exist.
PPLIFE

Post by PPLIFE »

Zizi64 wrote:
If you don't mind guiding me, how do I update the extension as you described so that it works on Mac too?
You must check, modify and/or fix the Java program code inside the .oxt extension.
I have no idea how to do that Sir.

After installing legacy Java SE 6 runtime and restarted the computer, the installation went through but when activating the Extension I am getting this error message:

Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I have no idea how to do that Sir.
And I have not. I am not a Java programmer.

the installation went through but when activating the Extension I am getting this error message:

I do not know anything about the XVN exrension, but the default location ot the extensions is not the C:\, but it is the User profile of the AOO or LO.
How you insalled it?
Last edited by Zizi64 on Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
PPLIFE

Post by PPLIFE »

Ok. Thanks to you all. I will go with Villeroy advice and stick with Print Preview on the Mac for now. I appreciate it.