Excel 2016 xls encrypted file not supported in OpenOffice

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Poonam

Excel 2016 xls encrypted file not supported in OpenOffice

Post by Poonam »

Excel .xls file which is encrypted in MS office 2016 is not supported in open office whereas Excel file which is encrypted in MS office 2007 works in open office.
Suggestion please. How Do I proceed to open these files in open office?
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on windows 7
RusselB

Re: Excel 2016 xls encrypted file not supported in open offi

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
You might give LibreOffice a try, as it has been reported to have a better compatibility with MS Office.
Additionally LibreOffice updates, while smaller, come more frequently, thus the required coding to work with the files you have mentioned may be included.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Poonam

Re: Excel 2016 xls encrypted file not supported in OpenOffic

Post by Poonam »

Ok, but we all use open office. Is this compatibility will be done in next version of open office?
Or is there any supporting plugin to open it in open office?
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I can't say for sure, but all things considered, I highly doubt that the next version of OpenOffice will be much more MS compatible.
I'm not aware of any plug-ins for OpenOffice for this, though you could check the plug-in repository at https://extensions.openoffice.org/
My quick check came back with nothing.
As to the fact that "we all use open office" makes little difference for LibreOffice, as both of them use the default Open Document Format for saving files.
There's also nothing (to my knowledge) stopping you from having both OpenOffice and LibreOffice installed on the same machine. I have both installed on 2 of my machines.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Poonam

Post by Poonam »

Thank you :)