[Solved] Creating wire number labels on return address labels

Discuss the database features
heresrob

[Solved] Creating wire number labels on return address labels

Post by heresrob »

I have been searching for a way to create my own wire numbers on a return address label and found no way to do this. I want to have a group of numbers printed on a return address label so when I wrap the label around the wire I can be assured the number will show up. I can do it in "My Database" but I have to type each number on the label. There's no way to create a formula to duplicate the first number typed in to the other inputs. I want to type the top number on the label and the next 6 will automatically be placed in their box below the top number. When you look at the return address label the numbers will be placed vertical from left to right with the first number as the master and the next group will replicate that number. If you hold the address label in portrait the first number would be at the top and the rest below it.It's easy to do this in calc and have the numbers duplicate with an =a1 in each box of the spreadsheet but how can i get this to print in a return address from calc?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
openoffice 4.1.6 windows 7
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Creating wire number labels on return address labels

Post by UnklDonald418 »

OpenOffice is designed to use a database table or query as the data source for the label printer. I'm not aware of any way to use a spreadsheet as the data source.
return address label the numbers will be placed vertical from left to right with the first number as the master and the next group will replicate that number
A relatively simple query could duplicate table records, something like:

Code: Select all

SELECT "MyTable"."Number" from "MyTable", "SomeOtherTable" WHERE "SomeOtherTable"."ID" <  6
This assumes that "MyTable"."Number" contains the numbers you want to appear on the labels and that "SomeOtherTable" has at least 6 records and field named "ID" contains consecutive integers starting with 0
The label printer fills label rows first, so the labels will not all appear in the same column.

Be sure to select the Synchronize contents option when creating the label document. Then you can make all the formatting adjustments in the upper left label and press Synchronize to copy the formatting to all the other labels on the page.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
heresrob

Post by heresrob »

Numbers can't start with "0" since I don't know what the master number is going to be. It could be 32or 154 or any number and the next number could be another random number. I've worked with a you tube video that got me close using the spreadsheet and base to create the numbers. It was designed more for writing letters and inserting the names and addresses into a text document. But, when I tried to place it on the label they wouldn't line up properly. I guess I'll hafta stay with the original plan and use "my database" to create the number one at a time. Thanks for the reply. I though it was going to be a simple thing to do. but, it looks like I'm not suited for complicated stuff like this
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

when I tried to place it on the label they wouldn't line up properly
Right click on the field name in the top left label of your label document and select Paragraph to open the Paragraph dialog.
For coarse control of the position, select the Alignment tab where you can chose from Left, Center, or Right.
For fine control select the Indents & Spacing tab where you can adjust the position with Indent and Spacing values.
In this example I entered an Indent Before text value of 0.57", and a Spacing Above paragraph value of .08"
temp.png
The next step would be to select Synchronize Labels to bring all the labels into the same alignment.
Numbers can't start with "0"
Yes, but databases routinely store zip codes which can start with "0" or even "00". The trick is to store them as text rather than a numeric data type.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
heresrob

Post by heresrob »

Now I need to rotate the <product> 90 degrees and have 6 of them on one label
------------
| 400 |
| 400 |
| 400 |
| 400 |
| 400 |
| 400 |
----------
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Read about Mail Merge in Help → Index or in User Guides (PDF) or searching for topics about it in the forum. There are hundreds of them. Likewise read about using tables in Writer.
heresrob wrote:I don't know what the master number is going to be. It could be 32 or 154 or any number and the next number could be another random number.
Put your numbers in rows of a spreadsheet, A1="Wire" A2=FirstNumber A3=SecondNumber etc.. Save the spreadsheet. Create a Base document and use the spreadsheet as the data source. Save that document, say as Numbers. The mail merge documentation has more details.
heresrob wrote:I want to have a group of numbers printed on a return address label so when I wrap the label around the wire I can be assured the number will show up.
heresrob wrote:Now I need to rotate the <product> 90 degrees and have 6 of them on one label
You may have difficulty finding a built-in label format in that orientation. However you can create a Writer document with a page size and table which has the correct dimensions to match your labels. If needed, measure those dimensions with a ruler. Use View → Data Sources and navigate to your Base document. Near the top of the screen drag Wire down into the table to create a field. Position the field where you want it in the first label. Using Copy/Paste, make 5 more copies of the field. After the sixth field tell Writer when to fetch the next record (row from the spreadsheet) with Insert → Fields → Other → Database → Next record → Numbers → Wire → Insert → Close. If you have more than one label per sheet of paper, Use Copy/Paste to copy the fields from the first label to the others. Save your label document, probably as a template (extension OTT). File → Print → Form letter? → Yes → Records → All → OK. You might need to uncheck "Print automatically inserted blank pages", depending on your printer dialog.

Related topics, which you should study before asking for further help:
Merge spreadsheet data into Writer form
Lazy user needs help for Avery business cards
[Solved] Sequential Print Numbering

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Here is the output a test I just ran.
TEMP2.png
Using 12pt text the most I could fit is 5 characters per line. Is similar to what you want?
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

The screen shot in the last post doesn't show the label boundaries.
Here is the .odt file
WireLabelsOut01.odt
(11.3 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
heresrob

Post by heresrob »

That's just what I'm trying to do. I will try to do it again. Thanks for the advice
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

OK, here is how I got there.
I created a table in my test database that has a text field limited to 5 characters to hold the numbers to be printed. The field name is "Num".
Here is a screen shot of the Labels dialog where I inserted the Database field "Num" 6 times, with a <CR> between each one so they appear on separate lines.
temp1.png
I then created the label document.
I clicked on the upper left label and pressed <Ctrl>A to select all the fields.
I right clicked and selected Character to open the Character Dialog.
On the Position tab I selected Rotation 270 degrees.
You could also select the Font tab to if you want a different font or adjust the font size.
Then I selected OK.
I right clicked again and selected Paragraph to adjust the Indent & Spacing.
Finally I selected Synchronize labels.
heresrob

Post by heresrob »

The problem here is for some reason it is assumed everyone is an expert and knows all the directions that are described. Well, it's not the case here.Although, I'm a retired electrical engineer and have some ability to understand what you are describing. I am having difficulty finding the "synchronize". I see it in the borders tab but, it is greyed out but checked. and that's as far as I can go. Am I in the wrong window? Will I be able to create different numbers to print on each label or will I get an entire sheet with the same number on it? a little slower for the old folks here would be appreciated. Thanks for you understanding.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Oh I fully understand, there are so many options that it can get awfully confusing, especially for us old folks.
On the Labels dialog before you actually create the label document you must select Synchronize contents on the Options page of the dialog.
temp2.png
temp2.png (7.45 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
Then you should see a small dialog with a single button Synchronize Labels. In my screen shot it is near the upper right, it may be somewhere else on your screen. The button will be grey until you move the mouse pointer over it, when it should change to blue.
temp3.png
That indicates that it is active so clicking on it should copy all the formatting from the master (upper left) label to all the others on the page.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

heresrob wrote:The problem here is for some reason it is assumed everyone is an expert and knows all the directions that are described
Your task will be much easier to understand if you first read about Mail Merge in the documentation (see my first post). Please do that now if you have not. We are providing free help, but do expect you to read the documentation for the product, especially when you've been given pointers to it. Chapter 11 of the Writer User Guide explains Mail Merge.
heresrob wrote:I am having difficulty finding the "synchronize". I see it in the borders tab but, it is greyed out but checked. and that's as far as I can go.
You want the Synchronize Labels button, not Synchronize on the Borders dialog. The button is created if you use File → New → Labels → Options → Synchronize Contents. This is explained in the aforementioned chapter 11.
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 15.13.12 .png
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 15.13.12 .png (6.2 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
heresrob wrote:Will I be able to create different numbers to print on each label or will I get an entire sheet with the same number on it?
You can get six identical numbers on the first label, six identical numbers on the second, etc. What you will get depends on the procedure you're using. Try it and see. If you don't get the results you expect, tell us precisely what you have done and attach a document demonstrating the situation (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself). At this point we don't even know what label format (like Avery Letter Size 5167 Return Address) you have and can't give more specific help with building a template for this project.
MrProgrammer wrote:However you can create a Writer document with a page size and table which has the correct dimensions to match your labels.
As with many aspects of OpenOffice there can be different methods to achieve the same goal. The method UnklDonald418 has described is not my "table" method. My comments above apply to his method. My "table" method will not use the Synchronize Labels button. You haven't said if you are using his method, my method, or haven't actually done either yet but are still asking questions. To avoid confusion I won't respond further until you explain what steps you are taking.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).