Make part of a connector transparent (complex background)

Discuss the drawing application
3+4i

Make part of a connector transparent (complex background)

Post by 3+4i »

I have created a diagram/flow-chart where some of the connectors have a text-label. Since the line goes right through the text I'd like to make the part of the line behind the text transparent. This is easy with a monochromatic background, since you can place another shape with the text on top of the line to make it seem transparent. But I'd prefer a gradient as the background, where this doesn't work of course. This is what it looks currently with a white background:
scr53.png
scr53.png (10.97 KiB) Viewed 1590 times
Is there a way to make this work with a complex background, like a gradient or an image? I've tried "subtract" as described in another thread ([Solved] Accurately split shapes), but that doesn't work with connectors or lines.
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 on Xubuntu 18.04
MrProgrammer

Re: Make part of a connector transparent (complex background

Post by MrProgrammer »

3+4i wrote:I'd like to make the part of the line behind the text transparent.
Want line text without the line through it

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
3+4i

Re: Make part of a connector transparent (complex background

Post by 3+4i »

Ah, you mean the "chained text object" described in the last post of the thread? That would work indeed, but only for perfectly straight/diagonal connectors. Unfortunately not all connectors in my chart are at the right angle, my screenshot is misleading in that regard, sorry. It still would work, but it's not exactly pretty.
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 on Xubuntu 18.04