[Solved] Character List

Discuss the word processor
musicbam

[Solved] Character List

Post by musicbam »

When I tried to open a text document, a window came up "ASCII Filter Options," with "character list" highlighted as "western European (windows ...1252...latin... I can't remember all it said. When I clicked ok the document came up with ####### instead of normal characters (it was a table) and I don't know what happened. I tried several times and got the same results...only with that particular document. (I tried others but they came up ok...normal characters.) How do I get my original document back? t's a list I update regularly (2019 Reading List)...all I get now are 5 pages of ############. Can you PLEASE HELP ME... :?:
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon May 06, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4; Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Character List

Post by RoryOF »

A file that opens as ### is damaged - possibly because of over-hasty power off of the computer before the internal buffers in the hard drive had written to disk.

You may be able to recover a previous version of the file - see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file ;

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.
 Edit: There will be nothing usable in the file producing the ###s. Don't waste any time on it. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
musicbam

Post by musicbam »

Thank you so much...I will try your suggestion...
OpenOffice 4; Windows 10
musicbam

Post by musicbam »

Thank you, thank you, thank you...I was able to get my original document back!!!
OpenOffice 4; Windows 10