Table relationships

Discuss the database features

Table relationships

Postby sjskhalsa » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:15 am

I'm a newcomer to OO Base, but not to RDBMS. I'm want to be able to relate a concept to either an author or a work. And I want to be able to label that relationship ("agree", "disagree", "neutral"). This is the ERD of what I've done so far.
ERD_test_relats.jpg

My issue is creating the forms to enter data. If I create a form for entering concepts I want to be able to pick from either the author or works list and assign an agreement, and have an entry in the respective linking table automatically populated. I tried to use subforms and listboxes to accomplish this, but I get errors and frankly not sure how to proceed.

Thanks ahead for any help rendered.

Note: A work can have 0:n authors, but I don't know how to change cardinality with the relationships GUI)
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on MacOS 10.14.4
sjskhalsa

Re: Table relationships

Postby Villeroy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:15 pm

IMHO, this is another many-to-many relation just like the one between Authors and Concepts.
Delete the relation between Authors and Works and run the following in menu:Tools>SQL...
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
CREATE TABLE "Authors_Works"(
  AID INT,
  WID INT,
  PRIMARY KEY(AID,WID),
  FOREIGN KEY (AID) REFERENCES, "Authors" ("ID"),
  FOREIGN KEY (WID) REFERENCES, "Works" ("ID")
);

Then call menu:View>Refresh Tables

P.S. anticipating your question on forms: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=97331&p=466619
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby UnklDonald418 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:17 pm

As long as the "IDAuthor" field in "Works" does not have a NOT NULL constraint, then 0:n would be allowed despite what is shown in the GUI found at Tools>Relationships. The GUI is a tool intended to simplify designating relationships between tables and while it may appear similar, it is not a true ERD.

If you placed the "Concepts" table on a MainForm
You can have 2 SubForms, one for each of the intersection tables "C-A_Links" and "C-W_Links"
If you put a table control on each of the SubForms they could use listboxes to select the appropriate values from "Authors", "Works" and "Agreements" tables.

The Form Design Wizard only allows a single SubForm, so you will need to use the Form Navigator in the form Design Mode to add multiple SubForms and perhaps even a SubSubForm.

If you continue to have issues then I would recommend uploading a sample database with your forms so we can see where your problems arise.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 & LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 - Windows 10 Professional
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Postby sjskhalsa » Mon May 06, 2019 9:38 am

Villeroy wrote:IMHO, this is another many-to-many relation just like the one between Authors and Concepts.
Delete the relation between Authors and Works and run the following in menu:Tools>SQL...
  AID INT,
  WID INT,
  PRIMARY KEY(AID,WID),
  FOREIGN KEY (AID) REFERENCES, "Authors" ("ID"),
  FOREIGN KEY (WID) REFERENCES, "Works" ("ID")
);

Then call menu:View>Refresh Tables

P.S. anticipating your question on forms: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=97331&p=466619

Thanks so much for the suggestion. Perhaps there is a typo in the SQL above, because I get:
1: Unexpected token: , in statement [CREATE TABLE "Authors_Works" (
  AID INT,
  WID INT,
  PRIMARY KEY (AID,WID),
  FOREIGN KEY (AID) REFERENCES,]

and I'm not familiar enough with the syntax to spot it. Truth be told, I've only reviewed, and queried relational databases before, never built one. I offered to set this one up for my daughter.
sjskhalsa

Postby UnklDonald418 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:05 pm

The error message is complaining about the comma following the word REFERENCES. There are two of those that need to be removed. Try:
  AID INT,
  WID INT,
  PRIMARY KEY(AID,WID),
  FOREIGN KEY (AID) REFERENCES "Authors" ("ID"),
  FOREIGN KEY (WID) REFERENCES "Works" ("ID")
);
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 & LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 - Windows 10 Professional
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Postby sjskhalsa » Mon May 06, 2019 5:25 pm

Thanks, that executed without error. However, it doesn't look like a new table "Authors_Works" was created, it doesn't appear my list of tables. I'm following the suggestion of the other person who was so kind to comment, and attaching the db. This is a sandbox version just to get the linking tables and forms worked out. The full db has other tables and attributes.
Attachments
Test_linking.odb
(4.49 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
sjskhalsa

Postby Villeroy » Mon May 06, 2019 7:18 pm

Sorry for the comma.
menu:Tools>Refresh Tables or reload the database document
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby sjskhalsa » Mon May 06, 2019 9:00 pm

I realized that the PKs in the authors and works tables were IDAuthor and IDWork, so changed the command to
  AID INT,
  WID INT,
  PRIMARY KEY(AID,WID),
  FOREIGN KEY (AID) REFERENCES "Authors" ("IDAuthor"),
  FOREIGN KEY (WID) REFERENCES "Works" ("IDWork")
);

and now when I View -> Refresh Tables I see the results, a linking table having two primary keys. I will proceed to create the concepts-authors and concepts-works linking tables and see if I can create forms to populate. Thanks again. I will marked solved when I'm all through.
sjskhalsa

Postby sjskhalsa » Mon May 06, 2019 10:50 pm

The linkage I wanted to make was between concepts and authors and another between concepts and works. so, while
CREATE TABLE "Authors_Concepts" (AID INT, CID INT, PRIMARY KEY (AID,CID), FOREIGN KEY (AID) REFERENCES "Authors" ("IDAuthor"), FOREIGN KEY (CID) REFERENCES "Concepts" ("IDConcept"));
works,
CREATE TABLE "Works_Concepts" (WID INT, CID INT, PRIMARY KEY (WID,CID), FOREIGN KEY (WID) REFERENCES "Works" ("IDWorks"), FOREIGN KEY (CID) REFERENCES "Concepts" ("IDConcept"));
gives
1: Column not found: IDWorks in statement [CREATE TABLE "Works_Concepts" (WID INT, CID INT, PRIMARY KEY (WID,CID), FOREIGN KEY (WID) REFERENCES "Works" ("IDWorks")]
I've removed all other relationships. not sure what's causing the error.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 10.50.07 PM.png
sjskhalsa

Postby Villeroy » Mon May 06, 2019 10:54 pm

The error message says there is no column named "IDWorks". There is one named "IDWork".
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to Base