[Solved] Lookups don't search all values

Discuss the spreadsheet application
paladin++

[Solved] Lookups don't search all values

Post by paladin++ »

Whether I am using a vlookup or just lookup it seems that at least one of the values is not shown, and it's usually the one I need. I have even tried sorting the 1 column in both ascending and descending and the value I am looking for does not end up in the result. I use a cell to find the max value of the dates in a column, then referencing this cell I find the dollar value related to that date in a second column. BUT, when I run the lookup it finds the second highest value, not the highest.

Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by robleyd on Mon May 06, 2019 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
Retired Techie
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Lookups don't search all values

Post by Villeroy »

It is the same LOOKUP since Visicalc of 1979 which was the first spreadsheet ever. Because this is not the lookup function most users expect, someone added the MATCH, HLOOKUP and VLOOKUP functions with different modes of operation. By default all these functions do NOT work as most users would expect because most users misuse spreadsheets as poor man's database.
[Tutorial] VLOOKUP questions and answers
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
paladin++

Re: Lookups don't search all values

Post by paladin++ »

Thanks for the quick response. Now how do I mark this as closed?
Attachments
Learning Lookup.ods
(13.63 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Retired Techie
RusselB

Re: Lookups don't search all values [closed]

Post by RusselB »

Information for marking a topic as closed, or as we prefer to call it, Solved, is in Villeroy's signature as well as mine.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.