[Solved] Corrupted odt file

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Japers

[Solved] Corrupted odt file

Post by Japers »

Greetings: Thank you for all the help!

I regularly use and save this writer file to a flash drive. However, this time it will not open and the ASCII dialog comes up. The file won't open by selecting different choices. Therefore, I believe this somehow became corrupted.

I would like to restore to the latest version of this file if it has been stored automatically or temporarily by OpenOffice. However, I don't know where to find it. Please know that I do have autosave active.

I can open quite old versions of this file that I have backed up elsewhere but the info. I need isn't on it.

I installed the latest OpenOffice v 4.1.6 to no avail. I'm running a MacBook Pro OS 10.10.5

I do appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you so much.
Last edited by Japers on Mon May 06, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Mac 10.10.5
FJCC

Re: Corrupted odt file

Post by FJCC »

Here is a tutorial on recovering temporary versions.
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As FJCC advises.

For future use, note that we do not advise working directly to a flash drive. This has been repeatedly reported to cause file corruption, particularly if the drive is removed without observance of the USB device removal procedures for your operating system. It is best to work to the local hard disk, then, file finished and closed, move it ad operating system level to the flash drive, observing the USB removal protocols.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Japers wrote:I would like to restore to the latest version of this file if it has been stored automatically or temporarily …
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q23/A23 Q24/A24

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Japers

Post by Japers »

Thank you so much for helping. I now understand a flash drive i not a preferred way to save files and I will certainly heed that advice from now on.

Also, I'm working on recovering the file with the suggested information. I will certainly update either way.

Again I thank you.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is good practice to Save any important file with timed/dated backups. You may find this extension of use.

You can download it from
viewtopic.php?p=406045#p405921

Note that you must invoke it separately using its button; it does not replace the standard save mechanism.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Japers

Post by Japers »

Hi: I tried just about everything I could. The file remains D.O.A. Therefore, my only choice is to start updating the info. and layout on an outdated file. At least I have something to start with. Please know, I'll be saving on separate HD's.

Now I'll try to close out my question.

Thank you so much.