How to Rotate Pictures?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
OCEANREEF203

How to Rotate Pictures?

Post by OCEANREEF203 »

Help anyone? I am inserting pictures from my library into a document in Open Office. Some pictures are inserted upright, some are inserted from my Windows library sideways, or upside down. I can't find a way to rotate the pictures upright. I've saved the pictures to my library in the smallest pixel as I can, most usually 33 size or less. Any reason for the problem with the display of the pictures?
Thanks...
OPENOFFICE 4.1 WINDOWS 10
Hagar Delest

Re: How to Rotate Pictures?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Insert the pic in Draw first then copy paste in Writer, then it can be rotated.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
OCEANREEF203

Post by OCEANREEF203 »

I'm sorry, but after trying the suggested steps, i still can't rotate, only flip. First, i am not sure how to find the "writer" file. I can open the picture in "draw" and i can see the tabs labeled "flip horz, etc." but the pics are still sideways (just flipped). Can't find the "writer" file/tab to save the pics to. I do appreciate the assistance. It's strange, some pics save directly fine, and others are inserted sideways...i thought it might be the size picture i'm working with. Mots of my saved pics are only 33-47 kb. small....
Still unsolved..... Thanks!
Last edited by robleyd on Fri May 24, 2019 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix ALL CAPS - shouting
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload your ODF type sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I assumed you were inserting pics in a Writer document. Can you precise what kind of file are you trying to do?
By Windows library, what do you mean exactly? Do you just insert a pic through the Insert > Picture > From File?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rotate them in an image editor like IrfanView before inserting. See the tutorial on using images.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

John_Ha wrote:Rotate them in an image editor like IrfanView before inserting. See the tutorial on using images.
Also crop them in such an editor - it will offer far better facilities than OO for image manipulation.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

Hagar Delest wrote:I assumed you were inserting pics in a Writer document.
For that, install this extension: https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... tationtool
OCEANREEF203

Post by OCEANREEF203 »

Hagar Delest wrote:I assumed you were inserting pics in a Writer document. Can you precise what kind of file are you trying to do?
By Windows library, what do you mean exactly? Do you just insert a pic through the Insert > Picture > From File?
YES, I AM USING THE COMMAND PROMPT FROM THE OPEN OFFICE MENU..JUST AS YOU HAVE DESCRIBED. "INSERT" TAKES ME TO MY LIST OF PICTURES IN MY FILE, I CHOOSE A PICTURE, THEN IT IMPORTS THAT SELECTED FILE PICTURE OVER TO THE OPEN OFFICE DOCUMENT (USUALLY SIDEWAYS, BUT SOMETIMES PROPERLY).
NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY ASKING "By Windows library, what do you mean exactly?". ALL MY PICTURES ARE STORED ON MY COMPUTER, AND I IMPORT THEM INTO OPEN OFFICE DOCUMENTS. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Please fix your stuck Caps Lock key; all capitals comes across as shouting.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

OCEANREEF203 wrote:Any reason for the problem with the display of the pictures?
It may be caused by EXIF Orientation tags in the images. File Explorer in Windows 10 rotates images that have an EXIF Orientation tag. Writer does not support EXIF Orientation tags so it does not rotate the images.

Why Your Photos Don’t Always Appear Correctly Rotated
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
OCEANREEF203

Post by OCEANREEF203 »

Some pictures post in the proper display. Only a few, certain pictures will rotate, and always rotate left, 1/4 around..?? Not sure if I needed to give space in the Apache program for the size picture, or save the picture in lower pixels, or what? I'm keeping a journal for my baby granddaughter, and I'm trying to caption pictures of her monthly. It's not working out too well when some pictures are sideways??
Just thought I'd ask some knowledgeable people to see if I was doing something wrong when I saved the pictures, or when? Thanks.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Digital cameras don't save the image in the proper orientation. They use an orientation tag to tell how the image should be rotated. OpenOffice doesn't recognize the orientation tag, so it doesn't rotate pictures. If the picture isn't in the proper orientation when imported into AOO, then you have to open the picture with an image editor and rotate it.
OCEANREEF203

Post by OCEANREEF203 »

Bill, thanks for the tip. I'll check that issue when I download the next picture on my device. If I still need to rotate it I will look further. I did just notice that AOO had a tab in "insert" when it prompts insert from a file or web. When I go to "file" , you right click and you can see some choices regarding rotate back or forward (?). anyway, I tried to rotate from there, and still nothing. Not sure where to go to find another "image editor"? Thanks again for your help.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Google for IrfanView; it will do all you want, I think.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

OCEANREEF203 wrote:I did just notice that AOO had a tab in "insert" when it prompts insert from a file or web. When I go to "file" , you right click and you can see some choices regarding rotate back or forward (?).
I assume that you're talking about the dialog that lets you choose a picture after you select Insert > Picture > From file... That dialog is probably a Windows dialog which has rotate options for the picture, but those options just change the orientation tag which OpenOffice still won't recognize.

Image Rotation Issue with Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer and how to rotate images.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.