Excel Spreadsheet vs Apache Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
RonWil

Excel Spreadsheet vs Apache Calc

Post by RonWil »

I am fairly conversant with Excel Spreadsheets and I am in the process of converting most of my Calc Files to Apache Calc.

In Excel, I have a spreadsheet which has multi number of sheets. On sheet 1, which I have named PAB, i can back-refer to this sheet to pick up data on to sheet 2 etc. The way I can do this is to enter, in sheet 2 at the appropriate location. =PAB!B13 and this copies the data on Sheet PAB at Location B13 into sheet 2 and, if required, sheet 3 and so on.

Can you please let me know what the equivalent command is in Apache Calc?

Thanks Ron Wilson
Open Office 4,1,5 used on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Excel Spreadsheet vs Apache Calc

Post by RusselB »

With the main exception of any macro codes, most of your Excel spreadsheets will open in OpenOffice Calc without problem.
Some of the formulas may (or will) change to match the entry method used by OpenOffice Calc. Example: Using ; instead of , as parameter separators.
In the case you have specified, there will be a small change, specifically the ! will change to a .

Again, you (probably) won't have to make many (if any) changes if you just open your Excel spreadsheet in OpenOffice Calc.
You might want to consider using LibreOffice, rather than OpenOffice, as it has a higher compatibility level with MS Office and is updated more frequently than OpenOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Excel Spreadsheet vs Apache Calc

Post by Villeroy »

Install https://libreoffice.org/ for a modern variant of OpenOffice which is more similar to Excel.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice