OpenOffice for tablets

Issues with smartphones, tablets and all portable devices
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice for tablets

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Must only work on later model iPad's.
When I tried to download it on my iPad 2 it told me it is not compatible.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
TomTascher

Post by TomTascher »

UnklDonald418 wrote:Must only work on later model iPad's.
When I tried to download it on my iPad 2 it told me it is not compatible.
Right, we're currently targeting devices with iOS 11+ if I remember correctly. What version are you running? I can try to lower the target version...
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Ubuntu 18.10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

It's awfully old, Version 9.3.5, so It may not be worth the effort
My grand kids use mine more than I do.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
TomTascher

Post by TomTascher »

UnklDonald418 wrote:It's awfully old, Version 9.3.5, so It may not be worth the effort
My grand kids use mine more than I do.
I checked and there is unfortunately a good reason for us not to support anything older than iOS 11 since older versions are lacking a crucial component we are using. If more people request it we'll reconsider...

Thanks for checking the app out and giving feedback anyway!
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Ubuntu 18.10
MacLeod

Post by MacLeod »

Please reconsider. I have an iPad 2 working tablet, and they’re unlikely to buy anything new, but it’s very convenient to work.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.2 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/X
sveld

Post by sveld »

Another iPad/iPhone option is Collabora Office, they've planned a version for Android soon too. Allows you to open and edit any supported document format including ISO ODF and Microsoft OOXML.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/collabora ... 1440482071
LibreOffice 24.2.0.3 on Win11 and Linux (mostly openSUSE Tumbleweed), Collabora Office App on IOS and Android, Collabora Office Online (CODE) with Nextcloud
sveld

Post by sveld »

As an alternative the LibreOffice version for Android is available in the Google Play Store now too as "Collabora Office". Allows, like the IOS version of the App, you to open and edit any supported document format including ISO ODF and Microsoft OOXML. Just tested it on an Android phone and worked fine, could disable (or remove if possible on your phone) any MS Office Apps and OneDrive (which the MS Office apps seem to need to be able to do conversion to a viewable format) and alike Apps from my phone as I just only need this one App to edit any document.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e&hl=en_US
LibreOffice 24.2.0.3 on Win11 and Linux (mostly openSUSE Tumbleweed), Collabora Office App on IOS and Android, Collabora Office Online (CODE) with Nextcloud
juneporter

Post by juneporter »

I use AndrOpenOffice on my tablet, and for working with New jersey results made with Apache Open Office, it works fine for the most part.
The biggest problem, imo, is when I want to do something that I'm used to using a mouse for.
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
I seriously doubt that there will be any version of OpenOffice that works better on a tablet than what you currently have.
There might be a version of LibreOffice that will work better. You might want to try some of them out. The portable version might be best as it needs the least amount of storage space.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.