Alternate JRE

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
bb-mkc

Alternate JRE

Post by bb-mkc »

Because of the new license policy of oracle I deinstalled the Oracle JRE and installed another one from adoptopenjdk.net. Openoffice doesn't find the new JRE.
I'm running AOO 4.1.6 on Windows 10 Pro 1803.
Install file from adoptopenjdk is 'OpenJDK8U-jre_x86-32_windows_openj9_8u212b03_openj9-0.14.0.msi'. This is a 32-bit version JRE 1.8.0.212.
It is installed to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AdoptOpenJDK\jre-8.0.212.03-openj9'
PATH variable is set to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AdoptOpenJDK\jre-8.0.212.03-openj9\bin'.

Has someone installed this package? Can anybody help me?

Bernd
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Win10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Alternate JRE

Post by Villeroy »

Try a path without the trailing \bin or use the [Add...] button. I just tried this on my Linux system with an additionally installed JRE. It is added to the list of availlable JREs when I point to the install directory.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Tools > OpenOffice > Java > Add ... Be sure to use 32 bit Java.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
bb-mkc

Post by bb-mkc »

@Villeroy: removing the trailing \bin didn't help.
@John_Ha: until this morning I had the original Oracle JRE running, as shown in your picture. I removed Oracle from my system and installed Adoptopenjdk. Now I have the situation as shown in my picture. Openoffice didn't find it by itself and using the Add-Button pointing to the folder with the adoptopenjdk JRE neither. And yes, it is the 32-bit version (I tried both versions).
Attachments
jre.png
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You can install as many JREs as needed to run all your software. OpenOffice runs fine with very old JRE versions because OpenOffice itself is outdated software. Does the new license policy apply to the runtime engine? I don't think so.
As a Linux user I simply install one of the popular desktop systems which includes a fairly recent version of LibreOffice suite and a free JRE.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
bb-mkc

Post by bb-mkc »

Starting this month you need a license for the commercial use of JRE (this includes version 8), i.e. if you use openoffice for commercial purposes like documentation etc., you have to pay for it. Using it for development or private is free.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Help which says
Java options
Use a Java runtime environment
Allows you to run Java applications in OpenOffice. When a Java application attempts to access your hard drive, a prompt opens.

Java runtime environments (JRE) already installed:
Select the JRE that you want to use. On some systems, you must wait a minute until the list gets populated. On some systems, you must restart OpenOffice to use your changed setting. The path to the JRE is displayed beneath the list box.

Add
Add a path to the root folder of a JRE on your computer. The path is set in the following dialogue box.

Parameters
Opens the Java Start Parameters dialogue box.

Class Path
Opens the Class Path dialogue box.
A reboot might be useful as well.

Do you need anything in Parameters? Class Path?

Try putting \Java\ in the path as 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AdoptOpenJDK\Java\jre-8.0.212.03-openj9 so AOO can see the word Java.

What does AdoptOpenJDK say about installing it? Does it need to set an Environment Path Variable to point to the folder? Googling finds posts about JAVA_HOME. Do you need to "un-set" the previous Oracle one?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I confirm the problem. I just tested on a 32-bit Windows 10 box, with LibreOffice 6.1 and OpenJDK8U-jre_x86-32_windows_hotspot_8u212b03.zip extracted to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk8u212-b03-jre\
bb-mkc

Post by bb-mkc »

@John_Ha: I have read the Help and did all that. No Parameter, no ClassPath. Rebootet several times. Moved to a Path containing \Java\, no change.
AdoptOpenJDK doesn't say anything about AOO or LibreOffice, they deliver an installer. This installer modifies the PATH. I added the JAVA_HOME variable.
Before doing all this I removed the Oracle JRE completely, better: I tried to remove completely.

@Villeroy: Danke für die Mühe.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It looks as if the LibreOffice team is working on it. https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/sho ... ?id=121925
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I just tested the alpha version of LO 6.3 on Linux. It does accept acceptOpenJDK 8 and opens my JDBC databases. 6.2 cant do the trick.
bb-mkc

Post by bb-mkc »

Thank you.
Any idea when version 6.3 will be available?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It's done when its done. Typically, there are 3 months between alpha and release.