Reopened document, all text turned to "####"

Discuss the word processor
BucketOfLead

Reopened document, all text turned to "####"

Post by BucketOfLead »

Sorry if I'm bad at explaining this problem, I'm new to this program and I'm not great with computers anyway... Anyways, I've been using openoffice writer for short story writing. I haven't had any issues with saving/loading projects until now. I started a story last night, saved it, and then went to open it today. Now, it tells me the original version is locked for editing (no idea why), but I can open a copy for editing. However, whichever one I open, all the text is replaced by the # symbol. 3 pages of it, which was about the length of the document I'd saved last night. Is this common? Fixable? any help is greatly appreciated, thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Reopened document, all text turned to "####"

Post by RoryOF »

A file that opens as ### is damaged - possibly because of over-hasty power off of the computer before the internal buffers in the hard drive had written to disk.

You may be able to recover a previous version of the file - see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file ;

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Reopened document, all text turned to "####"

Post by John_Ha »

BucketOfLead wrote:Now, it tells me the original version is locked for editing (no idea why)
That shows that your PC hanged or something similar went wrong which then caused the file to be corrupted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.