Preferences ambiguity, and a suggestion

Let us know how we are doing -
huw
Volunteer

Preferences ambiguity, and a suggestion

Post by huw »

User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit global settings > Notify me on new private messages
User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit posting defaults > Notify me upon replies by default

What does "notify" mean? Does it mean email me? I think it does, but the wording is ambiguous.

What I'd really, really like would be a page that is a list of links to threads I have started or contributed to, which have new posts on. Not emailed to me, but actually available on the site when I am logged in. That would be very nice, and would save letting someone down if I don't notice a thread has been bumped up by a new post. Is that an easy modification?
acknak

Re: Preferences ambiguity, and a suggestion

Post by acknak »

You mean something different that the View your posts link at the top of each page?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

huw wrote:User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit global settings > Notify me on new private messages
User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit posting defaults > Notify me upon replies by default

What does "notify" mean? Does it mean email me? I think it does, but the wording is ambiguous.
Not necessarily - this version of phpBB supports notification via email or jabber. At the moment jabber is not setup but if there was a call for it, perhaps.
What I'd really, really like would be a page that is a list of links to threads I have started or contributed to, which have new posts on. Not emailed to me, but actually available on the site when I am logged in.
Well, again looking at some of the new features in this package.
Bookmarks - you can bookmark a subject ( and on your user control panel all the threads you bookmark are displayed in a list. Not sure if the icons change to show new posts or not...you could try it and see. Actually, I just went and bookmarked this subject and when you reply

Actually - When Acknak posted I went back and checked - yup the list in my bookmarks paged showed that this subject thread had a new post... :mrgreen:
That would be very nice, and would save letting someone down if I don't notice a thread has been bumped up by a new post. Is that an easy modification?
Yes I think given that it works now...a very easy mod...no mod needed...
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

acknak wrote:You mean something different that the View your posts link at the top of each page?
Wow! I have never clicked on that link. I always assumed it would return the same list as "Show your posts" ("Find all posts by ..." on the oooforum) in my profile, which does not float updated threads to the top.

Between that and the bookmarked list, I have what I want.

Would it be possible to add a "View bookmarked posts" link next to the "View your posts link" near the top?

Also (sorry!) where is the legend which explains what all the icons on the board mean? I can't find it in the FAQ.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Near the top right hand side of the page - click on FAQ - that will give you an overview of the features.

If you have questions or something isn't covered let me know...

As for the modification - well, I will put on the list to be looked at - this isn't my board it is ours, and we have a group of folks that are managing it...right now there are half a dozen items already suggested...but that one has merit in my mind..so I will get it on the list to be reviewed..

Other wise, checkout the faq and have fun...

Drew
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I already found the FAQ, but there is no explanation of what the various icons used on the board actually indicate.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Yeah, this interface does kind of need a crib sheet doesn't it..

I can put one together, but it will be maybe 3 days...make that 4 with tomorrow being a rather large family holiday in my neck of the woods..but I'll get something together and posted in a prominent location.

I'll put a response here when I do..OK
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

No hurry for me, but it is a fairly fundamental thing that needs to be there in the long run.