[Solved] Dealing with PDf's in OO 4.1.6 on Win 10

Discuss the word processor
DRBeck

[Solved] Dealing with PDf's in OO 4.1.6 on Win 10

Post by DRBeck »

Hey folks, I'm not exactly an OO expert, but I have been using it for years. I just installed OO 4.1.6 (from 4.1.5) on Win 10. I've done my diligence searching forums and looking for extensions... The consensus seems to be Writer has never been able to modify PDF files; I can't get a 7 y/o extension (newest I saw) to install to even view; and I would bet an appendage I used to have this ability in OO - as apparently many others seem to ask this same question, but I have to ask again, because if OO never had this ability I need to have a brain scan. I can't even view a PDF at this point w/o Adobe. I installed Adobe Reader DC, to view and save, but are y'all saying PDF's are so proprietary they can't be edited without paying Adobe? And while I'm here, The Adobe Cloud is ridiculous.

Thanks,
David Beck
Last edited by DRBeck on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 / Win 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Dealing with PDf's in OO 4.1.6 on Win 10

Post by John_Ha »

See the Writer Tutorials for one on PDFs.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The PDF import extension can be downloaded from
https://www.arielch.org/aoo/aoo-pdf-import/

When you have downloaded the correct version for your edition of OO, simply double click the .oxt file and it will install.

Note this will only permit small cosmetic changes be made to a PDF file - it is not suitable for major restructuring.

I cannot help with why you cannot view a PDF with Adobe Reader. However, there are other PDF readers and editors, both comercial and shareware: not using current Windows I cannot guide towards these.

One thought: as you are using Windows, Internet Explorer is notorious for silently renaming file types - perhaps it has renamed any .pdf files you have downloaded to some other type - perhaps .zip?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
DRBeck

Post by DRBeck »

Thanks John and Rory. I did review the PDF tutorial. So... I guess the brain scan is in order. I am pretty sure I had dealt with PDF's in OO in the last year, but OK, I guess that solves some of it. I also read about the proprietary patents, but doesn't that severely limit the use of a doc format that was open - it can hardly be called "portable" or "open" if you need Adobe software.

It's not an extension renaming issue and Adobe reader works fine. I don't have any desire to login to the Adobe Cloud!!! What about entering data in form fields in PDF documents? I also felt sure I had that capability through OO. No?

Rory, I will try that extension. I have no need for extensive editing, I just want to be able to fill out document fields. I know I have done this. Does the PDF have to be formatted with fillable form fields?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The PDF format is designed to be an output format, invariant across platforms. It is intended for document distribution, not for editing. I cannot answer about fillable form fields.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

DRBeck wrote:I just want to be able to fill out document fields. I know I have done this. Does the PDF have to be formatted with fillable form fields?
Writer can create a text document with fillable fields - see Chapter 15 - Using Forms in Writer in the manual. Another user with AOO/LO can fill in the fields.

Writer can save a document with fillable fields as a PDF - see the options under File > Export as PDF.

Adobe Reader can open any PDF with fields and allows the user to add data to those fields.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
DRBeck

Post by DRBeck »

I guess I'll mark this solved... It doesn't make me feel any more sane. I'm not interested in editing PDF's, just filling them out as in HR docs, leases, etc..
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

DRBeck wrote: I'm not interested in editing PDF's, just filling them out as in HR docs, leases, etc..
Then use Adobe Reader.