[SOLVED] Paragraph Numbering For USPTO

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
KirkWard

[SOLVED] Paragraph Numbering For USPTO

Post by KirkWard »

I am using OO to prepare a patent application. USPTO requires that paragraphs be numbered using square brackets and a 4 digit paragraph number, with leading zeroes shown.

I have been attempting to use automatic numbering and even tried to use variables, but I cannot find a way to show leading zeroes. I am up to around 150 paragraphs, so I need to be able to handle ranges like [0001]-[0009], [0010]-[0099] and [0100]-[9999].

Is there a way to format a paragraph numbering system that includes leading zeroes, such as the number formatting in Calc?

Thanks,
KW
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
Ellijay, Georgia USA
Marco Island, Florida USA
US Eastern Time Zone (GMT -4, or 5)
Aoo 4.1.6
Lo 6.2.7.1 (x64)
Windows 10 Home
MrProgrammer

Re: Paragraph Numbering For USPTO

Post by MrProgrammer »

KirkWard wrote:Is there a way to format a paragraph numbering system that includes leading zeroes, such as the number formatting in Calc?
I seldom use Writer and hardly ever use Bullets and Numbering, however I believe you can use three numbering styles. For 1 to 9, set Before to [000 and After to ]. For 10 to 99, set Before to [00 and After to ]. For 100 to 999, set Before to [0 and After to ]. This isn't as handy as being able to specify that you want four digits with leading zeros, but it is far less work than manually inserting 150 page numbers.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
KirkWard

Post by KirkWard »

Sounds dumb I reckon, and I'll be looking as soon as I exit this thread, but is the ability to set three numbering styles in one series in the bullets formatting window? Format > Bullets & Numbering
Ellijay, Georgia USA
Aoo 4.1.6
Lo 6.2.7.1 (x64)
Windows 10 Home
KirkWard

Post by KirkWard »

That's really cool!

As far as I can see, it works just like outlines!

Thanks Mr. Programmer!

FYI, I've tried to use styles before, but didn't do enough to warrant any skill development. This was easy.
Ellijay, Georgia USA
Aoo 4.1.6
Lo 6.2.7.1 (x64)
Windows 10 Home