[Solved] Upgraded to 4.1.6 but it will not start

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Wayne R

[Solved] Upgraded to 4.1.6 but it will not start

Post by Wayne R »

I upgraded to 4.1.6 but OpenOffice will not start. I have been using it for years although less so recently. I decided to check whether there is a newer version for general principles and found 4.1.6. I had 4.1.3. I downloaded and installed it from SoucreForge, taking all defaults. It starts up and the bar goes about 40% of the way across and sits there forever.
I have restarted and reinstalled it several times. Several times I have manually used Windows task manager to kill soffice programs. The first several times I started it, it said that I had to close programs. That is when I restarted the system but now I get the hangs.
The second and third times that I reinstalled it, I chose the Repair option.
I am on Windows 7 Professional.
Under Task Manager it does not show up on the Applications tab but several show up under the Processes tab.
Last edited by robleyd on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
FJCC

Re: Upgraded to 4.1.6 but it will not start

Post by FJCC »

The first thing to try is to kill all of the soffice processes and then try starting OpenOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Wayne R

Re: Upgraded to 4.1.6 but it will not start

Post by Wayne R »

I already restarted the system several times and the hang persisted. However since then I have restarted it more times and this problem no longer occurs. I have no explanation and there were no diagnostics.
The note that was automatically appended to my post said that if it is resolved, I should go to the original post and select Edit but I see no such option.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
RusselB

Re: [Solved] Upgraded to 4.1.6 but it will not start

Post by RusselB »

The Edit button should be located just to the left of the triangle with the ! in it, on the right hand side of the page, up by your name.
That note wasn't automatically appended to your post, but placed there by a moderator.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Upgraded to 4.1.6 but it will not start

Post by Hagar Delest »

Screenshots in the tutorial, in this post: Tag your thread when it has been [Solved].
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10