Send Document as Email Problems

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
boweasel

Send Document as Email Problems

Post by boweasel »

We have a bunch of templates, created in Excel and Word, that we use in a small business. I was using a Chromebook to open those templates, make changes and then I would hit file and select send as attachment in email. Then I would enter the first letter of the recipient's email, it would populate the to box and I would hit send.

Now I'm using a Windows PC with OpenOffice and I'm looking for that same functionality. I hit file/send document as email and the problems begin. We have 3 different emails on this PC - AOL, Gmail and Outlook. I don't seem to be able to get OpenOffice to recognize any of then. I set Windows Live Mail as the default mail provider, thinking that was the same thing as Outlook, but it made me enter all sorts of server settings and ports and I might have messed it up.

When we did this on the Chromebook the recipient would get the email with the attachment and it would look like it came from Gmail, if that's any help.

Oops, forgot to add the attachment....
OpenOffice1.JPG
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Send Document as Email Problems

Post by Villeroy »

Save the document and attach it to your email like you would attach any other file.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
boweasel

Post by boweasel »

Villeroy wrote:Save the document and attach it to your email like you would attach any other file.
Well yeah, I know we can do that. But there's an elderly woman who's used to doing this stuff a certain way, and I told my boss that OpenOffice wouldn't have put in those email options if they didn't work. We're afraid that if shes changes the template she won't remember to do save as, and put in a different name. If she forgets, it'll mess up the template.

Like I said, this must be do-able, otherwise there'd be no reason to make it available.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The Send As Email function works if you have an email program on your computer that is set as the default. Gmail will not work because it is a web service and does not live on your computer. I don't know if Outlook is now a web service or still a program installed locally. What program is set as the default for email on your system? On Windows 10, you can see that by clicking the Windows button, the Settings icon (looks like a gear), choosing Apps and then Default Apps.

Separately, if you save your blank (template) documents as the file type template, they will not get over written when saved. They will load as Untitled1 and clicking Save will bring up the usual Save As dialog. Look in the help under Templates;editing and saving. I recommend taking the time to do this even if you get the email problem figured out. It is just safer than training people how to avoid overwriting the templates.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Use a real email client application like the free Thunderbird. Then you will able to send a mail from the AOO or LO, and you will able to automatize the process by your macros.

The obsolete "Outlook Express" mail client in the older versions of the Windows (but not the Outlook) worked well too with the OpenOffice.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.