[Solved] Cannot transfer 1st database to new one (errors)...

Discuss the database features
latheofheaven

[Solved] Cannot transfer 1st database to new one (errors)...

Post by latheofheaven »

Hello, I am most DEFINITELY completely ignorant of how to use this program (well, I DID start, but I haven't gotten too far :)) Anyway, the main reason I found OO was because I had an important old database made in Microsoft Access that wouldn't open any more. It has all my customers and their information in it, so it is quite important.

I was able to convert the old .mdb file to the OO .odb format, and the resulting database looks great! However, I am unable to edit or add to it. In doing some research, I saw suggestions on how either to import the data to a Calc (spreadsheet, right?) format and THEN copy and paste it to a new database, but that only sort of worked. The fields in the Calc or .ods file are mismatched, thus ending that effort. But, FWIW, I COULD edit it :)

I tried the main method of simply opening a new database from within the interface and supposedly importing the contents while adding a very important Primary Key column that I guess would then allow me to edit the new database. BUT... I've tried it several times exactly as described in more than one place, and I keep getting the same error. Something about the field size not being right or something.

VERY frustrating. I've spent hours just simply trying to copy the new un-editable database, but to no avail. I will include pictures of what I've tried to do and the resulting error below.

PLEASE do help someone!

Thank you!

Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.12 Windows 8.1
Hagar Delest

Re: Cannot transfer 1st database to new one (errors)...

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

No image uploaded. Make sure you've linked them to a file sharing web site for example.
 Edit: Images appears, certainly my corporate firewall... 
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The images are visible for me; the error is “Attempt to insert null into a non-nullable column “ which is fairly clear.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

robleyd wrote:The images are visible for me; the error is “Attempt to insert null into a non-nullable column “ which is fairly clear.
BUT this error should not happen when you copy table definition with content. The source has null values in some field. This means that the field is nullable. The target table should be nullable as wellbefore filled up with the same data.

Open both, the source table and the target in edit view (right-click>edit)
Compare the field types and if they are nullable or not.

Why do you do this anyway? You could also save the database under some other name in order to get a full copy and then change anything you want.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Villeroy wrote:Why do you do this anyway? You could also save the database under some other name in order to get a full copy and then change anything you want.
This is a very sound piece of advice: when working on an imported file format - be it in writer, Calc or a database (etc) - one should always work on a copy of the original, made at system level.

That way, if one makes a mess of the imported file, one can revert to the undamaged original and start again, hopefully with better results the second time. With anything as important as a database this is an essential course to follow to maintain one's commercial data.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

OK, assuming that we are talking about
otherwise you would copy a configuration file instead of actual data.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

The Details dialog indicates that the "Notes" column is the source of the error.
If there is a record where "Notes" in the source table exceed the 50 character limit you placed on it that would generate an error, but I would expect a different Details message.
As Villeroy points out, copying the .odb file would be a simple solution.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
latheofheaven

Post by latheofheaven »

Well, I DO appreciate you all getting back to me, but I'm sorry, though fairly computer literate, I have NO experience with this program. So, all the 'Oh it's obvious' is just making me feel really stupid, thanks :)

Now, I gleaned 2 thoughts from the replies here so far (I think!) 1) is that someone said 'just copy it and you can edit it) Okay, I THOUGHT that was what I was trying to do with creating another database and importing the data, right? BUT... if there IS a much simpler way just to 'copy it and then edit it', it would be most kind of someone to tell me the simple steps of how to do so. That kind of sounds like what I should do, I guess...

2) that the error is in the 'Notes' field. Good, that narrows it down. Basically, these are just comments added after some customers about their house / job. I do not know how to go through and 'compare and look for null fields', sorry... I have one working DB that looks just fine. ALL I need, please, is just one that I can edit. PLEASE, if you could kindly tell me without just saying things like 'Oh, the error is obvious', because that honestly doesn't help, just what is the simplest way, even if it SHOULD be obvious to me, please, just so I can somehow copy my database and then be able to edit it.

BTW, the suggestion to work with a copy is excellent! Yes, I should indeed be doing that.

Thank you!

(BTW, all the pictures are simply hosted at my site and show up just fine everywhere I post them, unless there is some specific restriction here...)
latheofheaven

Post by latheofheaven »

Okay! I was able to transfer the data from my database into another Calc spreadsheet, and THIS time all the data looks right! :)

However, the names of the customers are out of order. I THINK what I did last time was 'Sort' the name column and somehow I did it wrong and all the other columns didn't match after that. I looked more carefully at the first Calc sheet I created, and all of the columns are right EXCEPT they don't match the names, so I must've done something wrong.

So that I do NOT repeat what I did last time (of course, I will take the member's suggestion and make a copy of THIS Calc sheet before messing with it, so that at least I will have an accurate one, though out of order) then, when I DO try to 'sort' the 'Last Name' column, how do I make sure that all the other information in each row follows each name? Do I select 'All' and then sort? I notice when trying to sort, I am given the option to include cells 'near by' I'm not quite sure what that means.

But, if I keep a the good 'out-of-order' copy and just mess with a duplicate, at least I've made some progress :)

Thanks!
latheofheaven

Post by latheofheaven »

Alrighty... I think I got the Calc sheet right now :) My apologies for being such a nuisance. I am perfectly happy to use that for my clients. However, now that I have made another COPY, I will go ahead and try to see if I can import the stuff into a db file. If not, no biggie...

Cheers!