Is there a way to convert an Impress odp to a writer odt?

Discuss the presentation application
shilliard

Post by shilliard »

Edited to fix mistakes.
Last edited by shilliard on Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 and LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 on windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Is there a way to convert an empress ods to a writer odt

Post by RoryOF »

When you write "empress", I presume you mean "Impress"; but an impress presentation is an .odp file not an .ods file, which originates from Calc.

Why do you wish either sort of file in Writer? To edit? or merely to print in book form? In that case, consider /File /Export as PDF from the originating application; no need to change them to Writer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
shilliard

Re: Is there a way to convert an empress ods to a writer odt

Post by shilliard »

My mistake. I meant Impress, and odp.

Yes, I want to convert the notes pages to odt and edit them before printing, or include notes pages in an odt report.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 and LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 on windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Is there a way to convert an Impress odp to a writer odt

Post by RoryOF »

If you place cursor in the text of notes of an Impress presentation, Ctrl A will select all that note. Ctrl C will copy it; you can then Paste it into a Writer document. This must be done on a note by note basis. Apart from use of a macro (does one exist?), I know of no way to automate the process.

If the notes are already edited and formatted (within the limits of what Impress wiill allow) you can print them to a PDF file; this printout, unfortunately for your requirement, is of the Notes tab view - i.e., the slide and its accompanying notes. /File /Export as PDF seems to do the same. In a quick play with the settings I have found no way to export only the Notes.

In the internal file content.xml the note texts are distributed on a slide by slide basis, so it would not be an easy task to extract them other than with a macro.

https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question ... otes-only/
offers a method of exporting to PDF and then removing the slides; however, a PDF file is not designed to be editable.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:In a quick play with the settings I have found no way to export only the Notes.
Print to PDF Virtual Printer and select notes. You will have lots of End of Paragraph ¶ pilcrows to delete.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

When I wrote "only the Notes", I meant the notes text only. My experiment showed that Notes export gave the total Notes page, complete with an image of the slide.