[Solved] Words typing in the wrong position

Discuss the word processor
CarlGrove

[Solved] Words typing in the wrong position

Post by CarlGrove »

[Solved] Following a cut and paste entry into a draft, which required a lot of reformatting, I find that I am now unable to type a normal sentence. What I now get is something like this: Following a cut and paste

As I carry on typing, the line gradually closes up until it is full and then the next line begins in the same confusing way. What is happening and how can I stop it?

Unfortunately when I posted this, the words all closed up and wouldn't show the effect. If you imagine that * means blank space, what I get is:

Following**********a**********cut**********and***********paste******** etc.

[Solved by using Edit--Paste Special--Unformatted Text instead of copy and paste.]
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.01 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Words typing in the wrong position

Post by RoryOF »

In the paragraph style in use, on the Alignment tab, change "Last line" setting to "Left". It is best to do this in /Format /Styles and formatting so that it applies to all instances of that style.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You are using right justify.
Attachments
Clipboard03.gif
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think the OP could also be using justified, with last line setting set to justified.
CarlGrove

Post by CarlGrove »

I can't find a "last line" option.

I always use fully justified.
Last edited by CarlGrove on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Paragraph_alignment.png
See the attached screenshot
CarlGrove

Post by CarlGrove »

I find that is already the setting!
CarlGrove

Post by CarlGrove »

Just to make things more confusing, I carried on trying to type with the words in the wrong place, and when I started a new page -- they started to behave properly. The problem seems to be restricted to the page where I had to edit the pasted paragraphs. I don't want to delete whole pages and start from scratch each time I copy and paste though!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Please upload a small file showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

CarlGrove wrote:I find that is already the setting!
Since you're editing pasted text, there is probably direct formatting on individual paragraphs that override the Paragraph Style setting. Right-click the paragraph and select Paragraph to see the setting.
CarlGrove wrote:Just to make things more confusing, I carried on trying to type with the words in the wrong place, and when I started a new page -- they started to behave properly. The problem seems to be restricted to the page where I had to edit the pasted paragraphs.
Left, right, center and justified alignment are paragraph properties. They don't depend on pages.
CarlGrove wrote:I don't want to delete whole pages and start from scratch each time I copy and paste though!
Then you shouldn't use a simple Paste command which pastes formatting. Instead use Edit > Paste Special > Unformatted Text.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
CarlGrove

Post by CarlGrove »

I had no idea about any of that -- I just thought you could copy and paste text and it would automatically be entered into the existing settings. I also assumed that the justified alignments held for the whole manuscript, as it would be rare to want to change format halfway through. I will try those ideas and hope they do the trick.

Does the program then remember where a certain paragraph was in the ms and always apply the same (in this case wrong) settings to anything typed on that part of the page?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I just thought you could copy and paste text and it would automatically be entered into the existing settings.
The Copy-Paste method - in most of cases - will trasfer the formatting properties too. Try to use the Paste special - Unformatted texts.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
CarlGrove

Post by CarlGrove »

Thanks, I will do that from now on.