Character Palette doesn't have logic symbols

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
titusjewell

Character Palette doesn't have logic symbols

Post by titusjewell »

I am unable to use open office for my logic classes since it is missing certain important characters. Open office doesn't have existential quantifier symbols (an upside down A and a backwards E). It also doesn't have a horseshoe.

How can I fix open office so that I can type up my logic notes? Is it possible to fix or should I just scrap the whole program and use microsoft office?

I am also unable to use the aleph symbol since it causes the cursor to move in the wrong direction.

Conclusion: Open office is not math and logic friendly. Please help. :o
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Character Palette doesn't have logic symbols

Post by TheGurkha »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Happily, that's the wrong conclusion. Check out Chapter 16 of the Writer's guide. OpenOffice.org 3 User Guides.

If this has answered your question please go to your first post and use the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can use the green tick icon at the same time if you like.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
MacPhisto

Post by MacPhisto »

The best way is to use formula boxes, as described in TheGurkha’s link. However, if you want to use these characters in ‘normal’ text, you should use Insert > Special Characters…, notice that you need the “Mathematical Operators” subset, also, not every font supports these characters.

As for the א-function: א is a Hebrew character, it is supposed to be written from right to left, which probably is the “wrong” direction to you; I am not sure if, in ‘normal’ text, there is an א character that does not show this behaviour, maybe it is in the Mathematical Operators subset of the Special Characters table.
If your question has been answered, please add “[Solved]” to the beginning of the title of your first post (use the edit button.)
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 9.x
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Post by Robert Tucker »

LibreOffice 7.x.x on Arch and Fedora.
mnm64

Post by mnm64 »

You put a dead link. Here's an idea - why not just tell us how to do it!!!!!
openoffice 4.1.3
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Post by Robert Tucker »

My link? I just tried it and it worked. U+2135 is stated to be the correct character here: https://www.johndcook.com/blog/math-symbols/

You will need to find out the easiest way to enter a character by its code point on your operating system and maybe set a shortcut to it.
LibreOffice 7.x.x on Arch and Fedora.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

You put a dead link. Here's an idea - why not just tell us how to do it!!!!!
It is a 10 year old topic.
Maybe some links are dead today, but the OOo 3.x versions are dead too.
Use the AOO 4.x or the LibreOffice 6.x.

You can write a macro to put unicode special characters into a document, or you can use the Autocorrect feature.
Search and apply the codes of a public Unicode table - from the internet.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Robert Tucker wrote:My link? I just tried it and it worked. U+2135 is stated to be the correct character here: https://www.johndcook.com/blog/math-symbols/

You will need to find out the easiest way to enter a character by its code point on your operating system and maybe set a shortcut to it.
Link working fine for me.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It's not an AOO problem - it is a problem with the fonts you have (or, in this case, have not) installed.

1. Download a font which contains the symbols you want to use - eg see Math Symbol

2. Install the font.

3. Restart AOO

Bingo! all the symbols in that font are available in AOO. You probably need to use Insert > Special Character ..., to insert them.

Also see the Math module of AOO.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.