[Solved] Cell border frustrations

Discuss the spreadsheet application
manntis

[Solved] Cell border frustrations

Post by manntis »

Sometimes in a spreadsheet, we like to put borders around cells or groups of cells. But this can be an exercise in frustration

For example, let's say I have a row of headings over columns. The headings and column entries all have 4 sided borders around the cells. But to demark the headings from the columns, I want the heading row to have a double border along the bottom of the row.

No matter how many times I select "bottom only", Calc insists on putting the double border around all 4 sides of each individual cell.

If I blank out the cell borders first, *sometimes* "bottom only" will work... but then if I go to put back the missing top and sides with a single border, it'll also overwrite the bottom border with a single line, bringing me back to square one.

Column headings in a spreadsheet are pretty common. It seems like there should be an easy way to do this. Obviously, because I'm posting here, I've yet to discover how.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
openoffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Cell border frustrations

Post by John_Ha »

Please upload a small file showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
manntis

Post by manntis »

You can't intuit from my description above?

Attempting to change just the bottom border in a cell that already has a border on all 4 sides won't allow the bottom border to be changed without changing all sides. It's pretty straightforward.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Suit yourself.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
manntis

Post by manntis »

Is there a workaround so one can change just the bottom border?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Screenshot_2019-03-25_20-32-43.png
Screenshot_2019-03-25_20-32-43.png (1.41 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Select the icon for four sides. Then click on the bottom border to unselect it, click on the desired line style and reclick on the bottom border.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

The shortcut buttons above the borders preview pane will modify (set or remove) all borders of the selected cell(s) simultaneously.

To modify borders for each edge individually, you have to select that edge by clicking inside the preview pane, picking line style, weight and color for each.
manntis

Post by manntis »

Perfect! many thanks, RoryOF and keme :)