Format Error in Sub-Document content.xml

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Faraway

Format Error in Sub-Document content.xml

Post by Faraway »

Both my active and back up files of a travel itinerary are now failing to open and give a Format Error in Sub-Documet content.xml .... error. I have tried a number of the suggested recovery methods without success. As the document is 20+ pages I am hoping that there may be someone who could help me recover the document.
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Format Error in Sub-Document content.xml

Post by FJCC »

If you post it here, if it is under 128kB, or on some file sharing site like Dropbox, someone can take a look at it. To post the document here, click Post Reply and then look for the Upload Attachment tab just below the ox where you type a response.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Faraway

Post by Faraway »

Greatly appreciated. File uploaded.
Itinerary Vienna Greece 2019.ods
(59.63 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

At a first try, your file is seriously damaged and needs heavier tools and more time than I have at present.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The file is very badly corrupted and content.xml cannot be extracted for repair as it fails the CRC check. This is the best I could do by removing the tags from the badly corrupted content.xml. IT contains some user text, which may be useful, and lots of garbage. I "repaired" the file with WinZip and extracted what I could.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.
Attachments
content.odt
(57.96 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

John_Ha wrote:The file is very badly corrupted and content.xml cannot be extracted for repair as it fails the CRC check.
That is what I found also.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Faraway

Post by Faraway »

Many thanks John. I had auto recovery set every 5 minutes so here's hoping.