[Solved] Spell check underlining all words today

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

[Solved] Spell check underlining all words today

Post by 123456 »

Hello, Spell check stopped working today. It has red lines under all words. I went to tools/options and languages.

There was only a sentence "here is where you make settings concerning languages and writing aids for your work on open office". But no way to make sure the dictionary is in place, or to change settings.

Also, I read some info here, about admin problems. But I didn't quite understand. I am not sure what changed.
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks Mary
Last edited by RoryOF on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] and green tick. [RoryOF, Moderator]
open office 4.1.6.
windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Spell check underlining all words today

Post by RoryOF »

Rename your OO user profile.

As your Forum .sig says you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a good choice. Start OpenOffice.

This cures almost all spellcheck problems.

You have possibly lost your spellchecker (and may do again) because of an OpenOffice or system crash, or because of over-hasty close down of the computer before all internal housekeeping was written to disk

To avoid this, always use the formal Shutdown procedure for your computer, then wait a few seconds for all disk activity to cease after the "OK to shutdown message" or the dark screen before disconnecting from the power or closing the laptop lid.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS

Re: Spell check underlining all words today

Post by 123456 »

Thank you RoryOF, that worked like a charm.
Thank you for the great directions.
And thanks for the advice.
Be well, and thank you for such a quick response, :bravo:
open office 4.1.6.
windows 10