[Solved] Help with formula in spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
krabban

[Solved] Help with formula in spreadsheet

Post by krabban »

Can anyone help me with the formula, how I summarize plus and negative numbers in different columns, negative numbers to column marked with red. see attached file.
I would also remove the characters that In market with a blue box in the attached file, if this is possible without changing the mathematical formula in the 50 lines?
Attachments
forum redigering.ods
(25.42 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
openoffice.png
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Openoffice 4.1.6 windows 7
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: Help with formula in spreadsheet

Post by Lupp »

Wellcome to the forum!

Alas!
How shall I tell you anything about formulas contained in your sheet if I only have this image? Please attach the real thing (spreadsheet document). If there is confidential content, please remove or anonymize it in advance.

The editor here offers the tool for "Upload attachment" below the frame for editing.

What I could do for you without knowing the details you find in the attached example.
Attachments
aoo97462splitBySign_1.ods
(13.7 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
krabban

Post by krabban »

Lupp wrote:Wellcome to the forum!

Alas!
How shall I tell you anything about formulas contained in your sheet if I only have this image? Please attach the real thing (spreadsheet document). If there is confidential content, please remove or anonymize it in advance.

The editor here offers the tool for "Upload attachment" below the frame for editing.
All right, now I have uploaded the entire spreadsheet.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

With regrets, I must inform you that the spreadsheet did not upload, as there is no link in your post to the uploaded file.
The forum has a 128k file size limit. If it is bigger than that, you'll have to upload it to a file sharing service, like MediaFire or Dropbox, then post a link here to the address where the file is contained.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
krabban

Post by krabban »

RusselB wrote:With regrets, I must inform you that the spreadsheet did not upload, as there is no link in your post to the uploaded file.
The forum has a 128k file size limit. If it is bigger than that, you'll have to upload it to a file sharing service, like MediaFire or Dropbox, then post a link here to the address where the file is contained.
What I can see is the file there and is downloaded 3 times.
Tests upload again
Attachments
forum redigering.ods
(25.42 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
krabban

Post by krabban »

Lupp wrote:Wellcome to the forum!

Alas!

What I could do for you without knowing the details you find in the attached example.
I have downloaded your formula but won't it work? There must be something more in the formula when two numbers should subtraction column "G" and "I"
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Look up the IF function in the manual or in Help.

Then do something like IF(number is negative; copy it to column X; copy it to column Y). All negative values are now copied to column X and all positive values are copied to column Y. Decide how to handle zeros.

You will find much useful information in the User Guides, the Writer, Base and Calc Tutorials and the AOO Frequently Asked Questions. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Basically I don't understand for what reasons all (?) your formulae referenced ranges over48 rows. You did this in a way where the so called intersection takes place: Only the reference to the one cell of any column in the same row as the formula itself is evaluated then. This is, IMO, only (if at all) reasonable if the ranges are named and referenced by their names. Some may also find them cool if absolute row addressing is used. With explicit references based on relative addressing there's no sense in it.

However, your main concern - as I iunsderstood it - was to split some preliminary results in two columns depending on the sign. To avoid highly complicated formulae and inefficient multiple calculations such a split is best done based on a helper column which may get hidden after its contents were created.

An unsolicited but generally useful advice: Don't worry in any way about formats for the view or "prettyprint" or alike as long as not the functionality you want is correctly implemented. The only formatting you may need to consider is that for numbers.

See attachment.
Attachments
aoo97462specialBySign_1.ods
(31.42 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
krabban

Post by krabban »

Lupp wrote:Basically I don't understand for what reasons all (?) your formulae referenced ranges over48 rows. You did this in a way where the so called intersection takes place: Only the reference to the one cell of any column in the same row as the formula itself is evaluated then. This is, IMO, only (if at all) reasonable if the ranges are named and referenced by their names. Some may also find them cool if absolute row addressing is used. With explicit references based on relative addressing there's no sense in it.

However, your main concern - as I iunsderstood it - was to split some preliminary results in two columns depending on the sign. To avoid highly complicated formulae and inefficient multiple calculations such a split is best done based on a helper column which may get hidden after its contents were created.

An unsolicited but generally useful advice: Don't worry in any way about formats for the view or "prettyprint" or alike as long as not the functionality you want is correctly implemented. The only formatting you may need to consider is that for numbers.

See attachment.
Thanks now I got Minus and the plus results to match in different columns.

Another question I have is whether it is possible to do the copy protection worksheet? Was thinking about selling this and didn't want it to be easy to copy.
thinman3
Volunteer

Post by thinman3 »

Looking at Sheet...Ark 1 (2) , Column I , the formulas increase by 1 from ROW 3 to ROW 6. However, for ROW 7, it increases by 2. Is this what is intended or mistake ??
3.4.1 & 4.1.5 on MS Windows 7 Pro x64
krabban

Post by krabban »

thinman3 wrote:Looking at Sheet...Ark 1 (2) , Column I , the formulas increase by 1 from ROW 3 to ROW 6. However, for ROW 7, it increases by 2. Is this what is intended or mistake ??

Don't really understand how you mean the error is? I can't find any fault.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

He means that there is a change in the increase amount from 1 to 2, and asks if this is intended, or should the increment be 1 in all cases.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
krabban

Post by krabban »

RoryOF wrote:He means that there is a change in the increase amount from 1 to 2, and asks if this is intended, or should the increment be 1 in all cases.
Okay thanks now I have fixed this.