Help asking for Java

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
tc32628

Help asking for Java

Post by tc32628 »

When I click on "Help", and enter a word or phrase (i.e. functions), this is what I get:

OpenOffice requires a java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task.
Please install JRE and restart OpenOffice.

Well, I have installed a JRE about 10 times to no avail. I understand Java is no longer included in OpenOffice like it used to. My question is, why the hell not?
One should not have to be a rocket scientist to use OpenOffice help.
I think I will spend the money and purchase MS Office even though I do not like Microsoft. Especially since Windows 10 and Media Player is no longer viable.
A few thousand dollars down the f!@#$%^ drain.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6
Windows 10X64
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice compatible with Windows 10 updates?

Post by thomasjk »

Did you install the 32bit version of Java? AOO needs the 32bit version and will not work with the 64bit version thus the messages you received. No need to spend thousands for a free download. Go to https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java ... 33155.html and download the Windows x86 version and install it. I have both 32 and 64bit versions installed.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
tc32628

Re: Help asking for Java

Post by tc32628 »

I got this file jre-8u201-windows-i586.tar.gz from https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java ... 33155.html.
The file is supposed to open with 7-Zip. It doesn't. I quit.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6
Windows 10X64
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Try the Windows X86 offline option which is an exe file: you can install that by double click.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

tc32628 wrote:Well, I have installed a JRE about 10 times to no avail. I understand Java is no longer included in OpenOffice like it used to. My question is, why the hell not?
It increases the download size tremendously. and any version of Java included with OpenOffice will quickly become obsolete and a possible security risk. It makes more sense to download and install Java separately and let it update automatically.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

tc32628 wrote:I got this file jre-8u201-windows-i586.tar.gz from https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java ... 33155.html.
The file is supposed to open with 7-Zip. It doesn't. I quit.
You downloaded the wrong file. You want the file that ends with .exe.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You could also install the successor of OpenOffice, https://libreoffice.org/ which is availlable as a 64-bit version for Windows. It does not require any special version of Java. Searching the help files does not require any Java at all because the help files are online web pages which can be downloaded for offline use.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
johnhansman

Post by johnhansman »

I have Windows 10. When I try to save an OpenOffice spreadsheet to Excel, I get an error message that I need to install JRE and restart. Following advice here, I have installed both 32 and 64 bit versions of java runtime environment. I still cannot save the file in Excel. What should I try now? Thanks.
Open Office 4.1.6 Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Saving Excel files (xls, xlsx) does not require any Java.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

When Java is needed in OpenOffice, you have (one time only, for first use of Java) to open /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /Java, and select a Java on that screen. OO on that screen will usually find installed Javas within a few seconds. Some extensions, such as LanguageTool, require Java. But Villeroy is right in what he says.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

RoryOF wrote:But Villeroy is right in what he says.
No, I have to correct myself. OpenOffice does not save any xlsx. It saves xls without Java. LibreOffice may also save xlsx without Java. And both may be installed with optional XSLT filters to save that historic flavour of Excel-XML which indeed requires Java. Everything has been discussed more than a hundred times. There is even a tutorial trying to cover each and every aspect of Java and OpenOffice: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=69896