[Solved] Trying to Insert Row: "Filled cells cannot be

Discuss the spreadsheet application
JohnTN

[Solved] Trying to Insert Row: "Filled cells cannot be

Post by JohnTN »

Just trying to insert a row in a spreadsheet and get a message: "Filled cells cannot be shifted beyond the sheet". Open Office 3.1.0.

If I go to the bottom of the spreadsheet with empty rows it will let me insert a row. I am trying to insert a new name and address in an alphabetical listing.

John
Last edited by RoryOF on Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] and green tick. [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 3.1, Windows 7
RusselB

Re: Trying to Insert Row: "Filled cells cannot be shifted ..

Post by RusselB »

First suggestion is that you upgrade your version of OpenOffice. 3.1.0 is very old and may not have all of the abilities available in later versions.
That said, what row do you get if you use Ctrl+End? That will be the bottom row and right most column of your spreadsheet.
I don't have a copy of 3.1.0, but in 4.1.6, you can have 1,048,576 rows.
Since your task is to put in new information in alphabetical order, you could just enter the information, then sort the spreadsheet using the name column (I'm guessing) as the primary sort key.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
JohnTN

Post by JohnTN »

I will try updating and using sort as a last resort but I don't think the version is the problem. This spreadsheet was copied from another sheet that contained addresses for 2018 and the 2018 sheet will let me add rows. This years sheet (a copy of 2018 sheet renamed for 2019) will let me add rows on other tabs in the spreadsheet but not on the one tab that contains the list of address (about 150 rows of addresses). If I go to row 151 which contains no data it will let me insert a row above 151.

John
JohnTN

Post by JohnTN »

Another test I tried. I want to insert a row above the current row 20. I tried deleting the contents of row 20 so there were no entries in that row and then inserting a row above it but still got same message. FYI, there are 65,536 rows in my spreadsheet, all below row 150 are empty, as far as I know.
John
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To move quicky to the last cell with content, try Ctrl End. It may be that a cell has a pace or a full stop in it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JohnTN

Post by JohnTN »

Solved. Somehow there was one column that had data copied into it all the way to the bottom of the sheet. When I deleted all this extraneous data it freed up the sheet to let me insert rows.

John