Moving multiple rows in Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
kingwillard

Moving multiple rows in Calc

Post by kingwillard »

I have 4.1.6 and need to move non-consecutive rows in Calc. I've tried crtl-click to select multiple rows but it won't let me cut the data so I can paste it elsewhere. I've tried alt-click on rows but it won't select more than one row. Any ideas?
OpenOffice 2.4 on Windows Vista
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: moving multiple rows in calc

Post by jrkrideau »

kingwillard wrote:I have 4.1.6 and need to move non-consecutive rows in Calc. I've tried crtl-click to select multiple rows but it won't let me cut the data so I can paste it elsewhere. I've tried alt-click on rows but it won't select more than one row. Any ideas?
At a quick guess you are trying to move selections of differing sizes. I can copy 3 elements in Column A and 3 in Column C and paste them elsewhere, I cannot copy 3 elements in Column A and 2 elements in Column C and paste them.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Apply a filter
Select filtered rows
Copy
Delete contents
Paste
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
kingwillard

Post by kingwillard »

Thanks, I'll try these.
kingwillard

Re: Moving multiple rows in Calc

Post by kingwillard »

I went to apply a filter but don't understand how to do it and it seems that you have to apply a filter to one row at a time which defeats the whole purpose of moving multiple rows. I tried to select a range to move but, again, it seems that a range of rows has to be consecutive rows. Appreciate the help, though.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

kingwillard wrote: I tried to select a range to move but, again, it seems that a range of rows has to be consecutive rows. Appreciate the help, though.
Not for me. If you want to more, let's say, two complete rows try:
Select first row by clicking at the left side of sheet.
Hold down CTRL-key
Select second row by clicking at the left side of the sheet.

Edit > Copy

Select cell A-on target row. Paste.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

kingwillard wrote:I went to apply a filter but don't understand how to do it and it seems that you have to apply a filter to one row at a time which defeats the whole purpose of moving multiple rows. I tried to select a range to move but, again, it seems that a range of rows has to be consecutive rows. Appreciate the help, though.
You can mark some rows by entering a value in the respective row instead of the freehand selection.
Then filter the column by <not empty> or any mark that makes sense.
When you copy a selected range, the filtered rows of a range selection are treated like a rectangle of cells ignoring the hidden ones.

You can also use the dialog driven standard filter with the option to copy the filter result to some other place.
Of course, a database would be by far more convenient.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
kingwillard

Post by kingwillard »

I don't know much about entering values in cells. I've done a little of that in the past but simply want to move non-consecutive rows in Calc. I have a spreadsheet of email contacts that I somehow downloaded from Gmail (I'm not sure how I did it all) and there are over 6,000 rows of data. I want to remove duplicate rows and format the remaining data so I can send emails about my new writing services, site, etc. This should be a hell of a lot easier in Calc than it appears to be!
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

So you actually want to remove duplicates; this question has come up a few times before and some of the results of this search of the forum for remove duplicate rows will probably help you.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
kingwillard

Post by kingwillard »

There are a number of duplicate rows that I want to remove. There are also rows that I want to move, mostly non-consecutive. I basically exported contact lists from my Gmail account and I saved them to spreadsheet files which I consolidated into one main file.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Spreadsheets are very poor database surrogates. First of all, you have to be clear about what constitutes a duplicate. The same surname? Certainly not. The same combination of surname and forname? May be.
A forumla like =SUMPRODUCT(surnames=A2;forenames=B2) would show how often a combination of surnames and forenames occurs. Then you can filter out all rows with an occurance =1 and decide which ones to delete because no software can decide which entry in an address list is right and which is wrong.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

There are also rows that I want to move, mostly non-consecutive
Are you by chance wanting to sort the data by some criterion? Can you explain exactly what you are trying to achieve so that perhaps someone can suggest a solution?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers