Nearly 2020, can we have a Wonderful Email Client already?

Talk about anything at all....
jkjambsj

Nearly 2020, can we have a Wonderful Email Client already?

Post by jkjambsj »

I love OpenOffice. It's a wonderful application that I find very much easier and friendlier than MS, and my heartfelt thanks to the OO users, supporters, developers and You for making it what it is.

Let's face it. MS Office is an awesome suite too, though personally, IT DRIVES ME FRIGGEN BANANAS :crazy: , but hey. Millions of people CAN do awe-inspiring things with it.

But I am not impressed with ANYBODY'S email client. MicroSoft Outlook is not capable of coping with the workload. ThunderBird is amazing, but why is it so damned slow? Workload possibly? I've watched Novell GroupWise demos on YouTube and I'm not impressed. It's just another MS. Outlook IS extremely useful, but for a number of things inlcuding (1) it is "too small" for my needs, and (2) I am 100% convinced that MS has written aggressive code to detect competition and cause problems.

Re point (2), I'm serious! I have (2a) clipboard problems (which I had never seen in my life before, before the newest MS suites) copying info from other people's Excel documents into OO Calc. MS clipboard content makes my OO hang. (2b) OO copes well with MS documents, but MS Office does not convert OO documents very well. (2c) Clipboard problems in MS Office, also cause MS file explorer to refuse to open OO documents. It makes my Windows Operating System have a seizure, and the only solution is to CTRL-ALT-DEL and launch the Task Manager. That's the only way to fix bar a cold boot.

I would love to know whether anyone else experiences such things. I don't have time to browse forums to find out, because I'm using MS and MS agency software and it makes my life hell, gotta run, bye, but before I go: I seriously need a Wonderful Email Client. That which is currently available is just too dinky.
Mr J Jacobs
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10 Home
LibreOffice 63.4.2 (x64) on Windows 10 Home
RoryOF

Re: Nearly 2020, can we have a Wonderful Email Client alread

Post by RoryOF »

I use Sylpheed, which is cross platform. I doubt it will offer the full functionality and integration you may require, but I am an old Eudora user and like my email client to be simple.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I have used Thunderbird for many years and I don't find it slow on my 10 year old PC (2 x 2.6GHz, 4GB).

My Inbox has 2,500 emails in it (700MB) and I have a total of about 8GB of emails sorted into about 15 folders for active stuff, and 5 folders of archived stuff.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a discussion.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Thunderbird:
+1
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

+1 Thunderbird
Nobody needs yet another mail client in 2020.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
jkjambsj

Post by jkjambsj »

Villeroy wrote:+1 Thunderbird
Nobody needs yet another mail client in 2020.
I will decide what I need thank you. You are clearly out of your jurisdiction.
Mr J Jacobs
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Go ahead and program your own.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
jkjambsj

Post by jkjambsj »

John_Ha wrote:I have used Thunderbird for many years and I don't find it slow on my 10 year old PC (2 x 2.6GHz, 4GB).

My Inbox has 2,500 emails in it (700MB) and I have a total of about 8GB of emails sorted into about 15 folders for active stuff, and 5 folders of archived stuff.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a discussion.
I have approximately 2,000 unattended emails in my inbox alone at any given time!! I have 18 inbox folders and an immense tree of subfolders within them, easily a thousands subfolders. I have no idea how many emails there are, but there are easily a hundred thousand! I hope that what I am saying opens somebody's mind to the notion that some people really REALLY get and send a flipping whackload of emails, and realises that MS Outlook and Thunderbird are really not competent for medium to large corporations!

PS: I just counted my email subfolders. There are over 1,500.
Mr J Jacobs
orangeli

Post by orangeli »

AOO is currently maintained by a very small group of volunteers.
There is no chance for an email client added to the suite.
IMHO the suite should shrink and drop Base and Draw...
LO 6.1.5.2 Debian
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Take some money and pay enough man hours to get the mail setup you need. How does the free software of other VIPs handle thousands of daily emails with hundreds of processing rules? They set up their own mail delivery agents, their own mail transfer agents and some highly customized version of a versatile mail client (Mutt for instance). This has nothing to do with any office suite.
Last edited by Villeroy on Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I saw Hiri well recommended, but have no experience with it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Many years ago I read a blog post from Google's PR manager. She posted her rather impressive mutt.rc configuration file as a demo how real techies can build extremely customized tools based on very simple, but well programmed, robust platforms, so to say the opposite of Exchange.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

jkjambsj wrote:I have approximately 2,000 unattended emails in my inbox alone at any given time!! I have 18 inbox folders and an immense tree of subfolders within them, easily a thousands subfolders. I have no idea how many emails there are, but there are easily a hundred thousand! I hope that what I am saying opens somebody's mind to the notion that some people really REALLY get and send a flipping whackload of emails, and realises that MS Outlook and Thunderbird are really not competent for medium to large corporations!

PS: I just counted my email subfolders. There are over 1,500.
Don't expect a freebie email client to work for you as your usage represents a tiny, tiny fraction of the non-commercial marketplace served by freebie email clients. You are a business - buy or develop a business capable application.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.