[Solved] Cannot Save New Files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
DFIH

[Solved] Cannot Save New Files

Post by DFIH »

When I make a new file on Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10 I cannot save the file using any method. I can save edits to existing Open Office files, but I cannot use the 'save as' option for existing files. No error message occurs when I try to save, nothing changes onscreen at all. I can make new files only by duplicating old files, deleting the text, rewriting it and then renaming it. This began after installing updates. Looking at other threads on this topic, I successfully renamed the user profile but it did not help. I rebooted the PC in safe mode and that did not help either.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the forums.
First off, thank you for doing research, trying options and including the results of those attempts. It saves us from suggesting things you've already tried.
That said, my next suggestion is that you try to Repair the installation. As you are using Windows 10 (which I hate with a passion), I can't tell you exactly where to go to do this (sorry).
If the repair doesn't work, or if you can't find how to do the repair, then my next suggestion is to uninstall OpenOffice, download a new copy from http://www.openoffice.org/download then verify the download.
After the download has been verified (instructions are on the download page linked above), reinstall OpenOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Can you save new files to the desktop?
 Edit: Or does the Save as option do nothing in all cases? Is this the case for all types of AOO files? 
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

RusselB wrote:Welcome to the forums.
First off, thank you for doing research, trying options and including the results of those attempts. It saves us from suggesting things you've already tried.
That said, my next suggestion is that you try to Repair the installation. As you are using Windows 10 (which I hate with a passion), I can't tell you exactly where to go to do this (sorry).
If the repair doesn't work, or if you can't find how to do the repair, then my next suggestion is to uninstall OpenOffice, download a new copy from http://www.openoffice.org/download then verify the download.
After the download has been verified (instructions are on the download page linked above), reinstall OpenOffice.
Should the OP not also delete the AOO profile before the reinstallation?

OT but a quote I saw.
I would gladly recommend Windows 10 to my worst enemy.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

jrkrideau wrote:Should the OP not also delete the AOO profile before the reinstallation?
Definitely since the problem probably resides in the User Profile - see Resetting the user profile.

Something funny seems to be happening with Windows 10 as there have been several posts like this. See for example "Save As" and PDF export not working. The poster was very active but has gone quiet once it was stressed that deleting the User Profile was the solution.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

John_Ha suggested in another topic with a very similar issue:
In Tools > Options > OpenOffice > General > tick Use OpenOffice dialogue boxes. This uses AOO function instead of Windows function to provide the pop-up Save window.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
DFIH

Post by DFIH »

Hello!

Thank you all for your help. I deleted the user profile and reinstalled Open Office 4.1.6 to Windows 10 but it still would not save the normal way. I was, however, able to save new files using this method:
robleyd wrote:John_Ha suggested in another topic with a very similar issue:
In Tools > Options > OpenOffice > General > tick Use OpenOffice dialogue boxes. This uses AOO function instead of Windows function to provide the pop-up Save window.
So I'm able to save new files again using the regular commands in the application, it's just slightly more cumbersome than the original way, since I have to manually redirect the location of the saved file rather than Windows remembering where previous files were saved. I don't know if I consider the problem solved, but this has helped me quite a bit.

Thank you!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This might be a Windows Defender problem. Perhaps a Win10 user would comment?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Reboot your PC in Safe Mode (Google for how).

Is it now OK? If so it is one of the programs which are started when Windows starts which is causing the problem. See Re: "Locked by Unknown User" after upgrade to 4.1.6

I am not sure if you can prevent Windows Defender starting???? IF you cannot check its settings to be sure it is allowing AOO full access to the PC.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
DFIH

Post by DFIH »

John_Ha wrote:Reboot your PC in Safe Mode (Google for how).

Is it now OK? If so it is one of the programs which are started when Windows starts which is causing the problem. See Re: "Locked by Unknown User" after upgrade to 4.1.6

I am not sure if you can prevent Windows Defender starting???? IF you cannot check its settings to be sure it is allowing AOO full access to the PC.
safe mode doesn't fix. does this negate your other advice?
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I wouldn't negate the suggested link or the suggestion to check the Windows Defender settings.
I'm also curious if you tried my first suggestion of repairing the installation and/or doing a fresh installation.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
jtcroquet

Post by jtcroquet »

I was having this problem with the latest update of windows 10. Couldn't save spreadsheets. Uninstalled Open Office and tried to re-install. It downloaded, but would not install. I finally found that if I went to windows defender and turned off the protected folder function, then I was able to install open office. Also the file save function in spreadsheet now works. The protected folder function can be found in windows defender under the virus protection icon.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Is the "folder protection function" actually "Controlled Folder Access"? You should be able to change the Windows Defender settings to allow OpenOffice through Controlled Folder Access without turning off Controlled Folder Access.

[Solved] Windows Defender prevents file opening
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
DFIH

Post by DFIH »

Hello thank you all for your continued interest.

I had repaired/ uninstalled/ reinstalled the application before with no improvement. There is nothing by the name of 'bitdefender' that I can find on the PC. And under Windows Security the Controlled Folder Access function was already switched off. So finally I tried the suggestion of uninstalling/ reinstalling in a folder in Downloads rather than on the desktop. This has not helped either. Since other people have had a similar problem I sense it may not be my cheap laptop, but it may in fact be that (Acer). While I understand this is something that *should* be fixable, I remain content with the minor fix of 'use open office dialogues' under tools > options > general.

Thank you, and I will try other suggestions if they come up.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Patoruzu45

Post by Patoruzu45 »

DFIH wrote:Hello!

Thank you all for your help. I deleted the user profile and reinstalled Open Office 4.1.6 to Windows 10 but it still would not save the normal way. I was, however, able to save new files using this method:
So I'm able to save new files again using the regular commands in the application, it's just slightly more cumbersome than the original way, since I have to manually redirect the location of the saved file rather than Windows remembering where previous files were saved. I don't know if I consider the problem solved, but this has helped me quite a bit.

Thank you!
I had the same problem, I have Windows 10 :crazy: and I couldn't do anything by checking Windows Defender, but with the AOO function works just fine.

Thanks.

Andrés
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 on HP ENVY desktop
BO8206

Post by BO8206 »

Hello!
This method entirely solved my problem. Thank you.

One question : my understanding is that as of version 4.1.6 AOO uses HTM format for all files, however AOO can still process other file formats like odt, xls etc.
Could AOO developers change the save dialogue box so as to propose a simple choice of ticking a box for HTM (default) or ODT or ....

Thank you!
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

my understanding is that as of version 4.1.6 AOO uses HTM format for all files
That is not the case; AOO still uses the Open Document Format as the default format for all documents; .odt for Writer, .ods for Calc etc.

It is not recommended, but you can change the default save formats via Tools | Options | Load/Save | General
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
HobbesTOT

Post by HobbesTOT »

John_Ha suggested in another topic with a very similar issue:
This solved my issue. Thank you!
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
Greenmango

Re: [Solved] Cannot Save New Files

Post by Greenmango »

Where are those settings here? In windows?
Quote: Tools > Options > OpenOffice > General > tick Use OpenOffice dialogue boxes?

I solved the issue of saving n edited file in it's source folder with following advice:

Issue:
i couldn't save an existing test file (.doc) after editing it on the same drive (but another).. It said file not found..

Solution:
I went to Windows (10) Security Center, clicked "Virus & threat protection". Clicked "Virus & threat protection settings". See the button under "Controlled folder access" and switched it off, now even the grammar checker works - before i get empty boxes!
W 10 Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.13
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Greenmango wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:20 pm Where are those settings here? In windows?
Quote: Tools > Options > OpenOffice > General > tick Use OpenOffice dialogue boxes?
OpenOffice menu. Tools...
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Hagar Delest wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:18 am
Greenmango wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:20 pm Where are those settings here? In windows?
OpenOffice menu. Tools...
And for Mac Users, Options is under Preferences.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Greenmango wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:20 pm See the button under "Controlled folder access" and switched it off...
That's not what I would advise. It completely turns off ransomware protection instead of just allowing AOO to save files.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04