Cannot Save New Files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

Cannot Save New Files

Postby DFIH » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:23 am

When I make a new file on Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10 I cannot save the file using any method. I can save edits to existing Open Office files, but I cannot use the 'save as' option for existing files. No error message occurs when I try to save, nothing changes onscreen at all. I can make new files only by duplicating old files, deleting the text, rewriting it and then renaming it. This began after installing updates. Looking at other threads on this topic, I successfully renamed the user profile but it did not help. I rebooted the PC in safe mode and that did not help either.
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
DFIH
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:08 am

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby RusselB » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:59 am

Welcome to the forums.
First off, thank you for doing research, trying options and including the results of those attempts. It saves us from suggesting things you've already tried.
That said, my next suggestion is that you try to Repair the installation. As you are using Windows 10 (which I hate with a passion), I can't tell you exactly where to go to do this (sorry).
If the repair doesn't work, or if you can't find how to do the repair, then my next suggestion is to uninstall OpenOffice, download a new copy from http://www.openoffice.org/download then verify the download.
After the download has been verified (instructions are on the download page linked above), reinstall OpenOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 and LibreOffice 6.0.6.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
User avatar
RusselB
Moderator
 
Posts: 5406
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:31 am
Location: Sarnia, ON

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby robleyd » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:50 am

Can you save new files to the desktop?
 Edit: Or does the Save as option do nothing in all cases? Is this the case for all types of AOO files? 
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice Developer Build 4.2.0 9820 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
User avatar
robleyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:47 am
Location: Murbko, Australia

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby jrkrideau » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:30 pm

RusselB wrote:Welcome to the forums.
First off, thank you for doing research, trying options and including the results of those attempts. It saves us from suggesting things you've already tried.
That said, my next suggestion is that you try to Repair the installation. As you are using Windows 10 (which I hate with a passion), I can't tell you exactly where to go to do this (sorry).
If the repair doesn't work, or if you can't find how to do the repair, then my next suggestion is to uninstall OpenOffice, download a new copy from http://www.openoffice.org/download then verify the download.
After the download has been verified (instructions are on the download page linked above), reinstall OpenOffice.


Should the OP not also delete the AOO profile before the reinstallation?

OT but a quote I saw.
I would gladly recommend Windows 10 to my worst enemy.
OpenOffice 4.1.6; Ubuntu 18.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer
 
Posts: 3690
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Kingston Ontario Canada

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby John_Ha » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:06 pm

jrkrideau wrote:Should the OP not also delete the AOO profile before the reinstallation?

Definitely since the problem probably resides in the User Profile - see Resetting the user profile.

Something funny seems to be happening with Windows 10 as there have been several posts like this. See for example "Save As" and PDF export not working. The poster was very active but has gone quiet once it was stressed that deleting the User Profile was the solution.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer
 
Posts: 6773
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:51 pm
Location: UK

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby robleyd » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:36 pm

John_Ha suggested in another topic with a very similar issue:
In Tools > Options > OpenOffice > General > tick Use OpenOffice dialogue boxes. This uses AOO function instead of Windows function to provide the pop-up Save window.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice Developer Build 4.2.0 9820 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
User avatar
robleyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:47 am
Location: Murbko, Australia

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby DFIH » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:55 pm

Hello!

Thank you all for your help. I deleted the user profile and reinstalled Open Office 4.1.6 to Windows 10 but it still would not save the normal way. I was, however, able to save new files using this method:

robleyd wrote:John_Ha suggested in another topic with a very similar issue:
In Tools > Options > OpenOffice > General > tick Use OpenOffice dialogue boxes. This uses AOO function instead of Windows function to provide the pop-up Save window.


So I'm able to save new files again using the regular commands in the application, it's just slightly more cumbersome than the original way, since I have to manually redirect the location of the saved file rather than Windows remembering where previous files were saved. I don't know if I consider the problem solved, but this has helped me quite a bit.

Thank you!
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
DFIH
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:08 am

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby RoryOF » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:32 pm

This might be a Windows Defender problem. Perhaps a Win10 user would comment?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
User avatar
RoryOF
Moderator
 
Posts: 29454
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby John_Ha » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:11 pm

Reboot your PC in Safe Mode (Google for how).

Is it now OK? If so it is one of the programs which are started when Windows starts which is causing the problem. See Re: "Locked by Unknown User" after upgrade to 4.1.6

I am not sure if you can prevent Windows Defender starting???? IF you cannot check its settings to be sure it is allowing AOO full access to the PC.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer
 
Posts: 6773
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:51 pm
Location: UK

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby DFIH » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:37 am

John_Ha wrote:Reboot your PC in Safe Mode (Google for how).

Is it now OK? If so it is one of the programs which are started when Windows starts which is causing the problem. See Re: "Locked by Unknown User" after upgrade to 4.1.6

I am not sure if you can prevent Windows Defender starting???? IF you cannot check its settings to be sure it is allowing AOO full access to the PC.


safe mode doesn't fix. does this negate your other advice?
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
DFIH
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:08 am

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby RusselB » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:00 am

I wouldn't negate the suggested link or the suggestion to check the Windows Defender settings.
I'm also curious if you tried my first suggestion of repairing the installation and/or doing a fresh installation.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 and LibreOffice 6.0.6.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
User avatar
RusselB
Moderator
 
Posts: 5406
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:31 am
Location: Sarnia, ON

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby jtcroquet » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:50 pm

I was having this problem with the latest update of windows 10. Couldn't save spreadsheets. Uninstalled Open Office and tried to re-install. It downloaded, but would not install. I finally found that if I went to windows defender and turned off the protected folder function, then I was able to install open office. Also the file save function in spreadsheet now works. The protected folder function can be found in windows defender under the virus protection icon.
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
jtcroquet
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:38 pm

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby Bill » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:58 am

Is the "folder protection function" actually "Controlled Folder Access"? You should be able to change the Windows Defender settings to allow OpenOffice through Controlled Folder Access without turning off Controlled Folder Access.

[Solved] Windows Defender prevents file opening
AOO 4.1.6 and LO 6.2.0.3 on Manjaro MATE
Bill
Volunteer
 
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:48 am

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby DFIH » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:49 pm

Hello thank you all for your continued interest.

I had repaired/ uninstalled/ reinstalled the application before with no improvement. There is nothing by the name of 'bitdefender' that I can find on the PC. And under Windows Security the Controlled Folder Access function was already switched off. So finally I tried the suggestion of uninstalling/ reinstalling in a folder in Downloads rather than on the desktop. This has not helped either. Since other people have had a similar problem I sense it may not be my cheap laptop, but it may in fact be that (Acer). While I understand this is something that *should* be fixable, I remain content with the minor fix of 'use open office dialogues' under tools > options > general.

Thank you, and I will try other suggestions if they come up.
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
DFIH
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:08 am

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby John_Ha » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:31 pm

AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer
 
Posts: 6773
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:51 pm
Location: UK

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby Patoruzu45 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:37 pm

DFIH wrote:Hello!

Thank you all for your help. I deleted the user profile and reinstalled Open Office 4.1.6 to Windows 10 but it still would not save the normal way. I was, however, able to save new files using this method:

robleyd wrote:John_Ha suggested in another topic with a very similar issue:
In Tools > Options > OpenOffice > General > tick Use OpenOffice dialogue boxes. This uses AOO function instead of Windows function to provide the pop-up Save window.


So I'm able to save new files again using the regular commands in the application, it's just slightly more cumbersome than the original way, since I have to manually redirect the location of the saved file rather than Windows remembering where previous files were saved. I don't know if I consider the problem solved, but this has helped me quite a bit.

Thank you!


I had the same problem, I have Windows 10 :crazy: and I couldn't do anything by checking Windows Defender, but with the AOO function works just fine.

Thanks.

Andrés
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 on HP ENVY desktop
Patoruzu45
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby BO8206 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:20 pm

Hello!

robleyd wrote:John_Ha suggested in another topic with a very similar issue:
In Tools > Options > OpenOffice > General > tick Use OpenOffice dialogue boxes. This uses AOO function instead of Windows function to provide the pop-up Save window.


This method entirely solved my problem. Thank you.

One question : my understanding is that as of version 4.1.6 AOO uses HTM format for all files, however AOO can still process other file formats like odt, xls etc.
Could AOO developers change the save dialogue box so as to propose a simple choice of ticking a box for HTM (default) or ODT or ....

Thank you!
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
BO8206
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:00 pm

Re: Cannot Save New Files

Postby robleyd » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:19 pm

my understanding is that as of version 4.1.6 AOO uses HTM format for all files


That is not the case; AOO still uses the Open Document Format as the default format for all documents; .odt for Writer, .ods for Calc etc.

It is not recommended, but you can change the default save formats via Tools | Options | Load/Save | General
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice Developer Build 4.2.0 9820 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
User avatar
robleyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:47 am
Location: Murbko, Australia


Return to MS Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests