Labels

Discuss the word processor
eyepock

Labels

Post by eyepock »

Am unable to print two lines on file folder labels Avery 8366. Windows 10, OO 4.6 recently installed. First line prints on selected label and second line prints on label two times further down column. Ex : select label one, 1st line of text prints on 1st label, 2nd line of text prints on label 2 in column.. Select label 3 in column : line one prints in label 3, line two prints in label 6 in same column. Problem does not exist in printing standard text document. Successfully used OO for years for all "office" work.
Doug Ipock, Open Office 4.1.6 on
Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Labels

Post by robleyd »

Can you upload a sample file that shows this behaviour?

[Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire and post the link here. The link also contains information on how to anonymise your document if it contains confidential information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
eyepock

Post by eyepock »

Not sure how to do that. All I have is typed sheet showing the examples given above. I should note that I uninstalled AOO 4.1.6 and reinstalled - same results. All I am trying to do is place two lines of text on a file folder label.
Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Please see the link in my post above for how to upload a document.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
eyepock

Post by eyepock »

Having issues with sending a document to you. Techno challenged old man so I guess I will just give up on forum help. Thanks anyway.
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Printing labels in Chapter 5 of the Writer Guide. Be sure to register a database.

Search the forum for many posts about labels.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

How do you go about selecting the label position to print on? By your description it seems that you use some kind of line/paragraph spacing setting. The common way is to use a template which has some kind of tabular setup, and simply navigate to the desired table cell and enter the text to be printed.

Does the document look the same onscreen as what you get on paper, or are you able to place the content as desired? (You can scale the view down with the slider in the bottom right corner of the window, so you see the full sheet.)

Does the print preview look the same as what you get on paper? (Menu selection: File - Page preview)

Also, in some cases when you use templates that were originally made for MS Word, the content is misplaced in Writer. With some Word templates the layout can be badly messed up, but there will normally be only a slight displacement in a simple label template, so I doubt that this is the case here.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Data from the spreadsheet/database cells goes into fields on the label.

Note there are six fields on this label. If I put two fields on one line, two lots of data appear on that one line. If I add a line feed to give an empty line (like at the top of the label), nothing is printed on that line.

If you are still having trouble abandon what you have done and start from scratch. Carefully follow the instructions in the manual.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
eyepock

Post by eyepock »

In response to Kerne - label position is selected on the column/row for the Avery file label 8366 ex - column 1, row 1. I type line one, hit Enter, type line two. On screen ( and print preview) shows what I typed in selected label . Print results in text- line one on selected label, line two on label two.Am not using any old word or other templates. For some reason , I feel that hitting Enter to start second line is moving second line to second label - just a guess. Or perhaps there is a setting that has been changed by mistake - I have not located such.
Windows 10
eyepock

Post by eyepock »

In response to John Ha - I am not trying to print from spreadsheet/data base cells. Rather trying to print two lines of text on a single Avery 8366 file label. Your example seems to show address labels with multiple lines. I continue to follow the "file - new- label" procedure of the manual.
Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

On the menu along the top of the window select Format>Paragraph to open the Paragraph dialog.
On the Indents & Spacing tab of the dialog look at Spacing, Above paragraph and Below paragraph should both be 0.00.
Line Spacing should be Single.
With those settings I can type two lines of 16 pt. Arial Black text on a 8366 label.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
eyepock

Post by eyepock »

My paragraph setting above and below were 0.00 and single line spacing. I printed in 16 pt Arial Black and success! I tried my usual font Times new Roman 12 pt - not successful. Tried Arial and Arial Black 12 pt without success. Weird !!!!
Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

What happens if you try the Times etc in 16 pt? Or take the successful Arial Bold 16 pt type, select it, and change the font to Times?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I created a label file, here is what I see.
TempLabel.png
Here is the actual document
TempLabel.odt
(13.9 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
How does what you see compare?
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

eyepock wrote:In response to Kerne - label position is selected on the column/row for the Avery file label 8366 ex - column 1, row 1. I type line one, hit Enter, type line two. On screen ( and print preview) shows what I typed in selected label . Print results in text- line one on selected label, line two on label two
When print (hardcopy) does not match preview, common causes are faulty printer driver and misconfigured printer. Try to update printer driver, and switch the printer off and on again (preferably, pull the power cord and wait 5 minutes before connecting again).
eyepock

Post by eyepock »

Further results from attempts to print 2 line text on Avery 8366 File Folder Labels. Using my preferred font of Times New Roman in 12 pt, I typed an identical 2 line text in each of the 30 labels on the Avery 8366.

Results:

A) In column 1 and 2 all entries on rows 2,4,7,11, and 14 printed the typed text on the selected label. Oddly, entry for row 13 printed correctly but on the row 1 label.

B) All other label rows (1,3,5,6,8,9,10,12,15) in both columns printed only line 1 of text on selected row. Line 2 of text printed in various locations or not at all. Example : Text entered for row 1 printed 1st line on row 1, 2nd line printed on row 2. Rows 3 and 5 also doubled spacing for 2nd line of text - rows 3 & 6, 5 & 10. Then location of 2nd line of text became irregular or missing altogether.

Conclusions: I am unable to identify any pattern , except for the consistently correct printing of rows 2,4,7,11,14, and 13 which print in row 1. I do not know where to find an answer - software on computer or printer ? Or some weird quirk for which there is no answer. Your responses have been appreciated but so far no solution found. I may have to drag out my old typewriter and do my labels the old fashioned way.
Last edited by RoryOF on Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added line formatting to remove "wall of text" [RoryOF, Moderator]
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. These are not labels in the AOO sense - these are frames. Using the term labels confuses the issue. Search the forum with labels if you do not understand the point being made or read Chapter 11 - Using Mail Merge.

2. Your file prints fine for me.

It's probably a W10 update problem. Download the correct printer driver form the printer manufacturer's web site and install it.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

It appears that the labels display correctly on the document, but the printer output is wrong.
Using Windows 10, select File>Print to open the Print dialog, select Microsoft Print to PDF from the list of printers.
If the generated pdf file looks correct then it is a printer issue.
Try printing the pdf file.
eyepock

Post by eyepock »

Successfully printed to PDF file. Printing of PDF file resulted in same type error as last detailed. I have tried the "download/install" new printer driver and the shut down/off of printer. Should I try this again ? You seem to believe this is a printer problem. Could it be caused by something in the printer setting ?
Windows 10
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Which printer do you have?

For some old printers, Windows 10 has a tendency to not pick "best match" for driver. With the new wireless printers, the software in youe pc and/or firmware in the printer may need an update. USB connection is more reliable than wireless. There may be other issues, specifig to the make and model of your printer
eyepock

Post by eyepock »

My printer is HP Envy Photo 6255. Printer purchased 4 months ago. Have had no other issues in printing documents, photos,or even spread sheets. Am not using wireless feature.
Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Perhaps it would be helpful if you uploaded an .odt file containing your labels, so we can see if we can duplicate your problem.
This afternoon I printed a page formatted for Avery 8366 labels on a HP Envy 4520 without problems.