OpenOffice 4.1.6 Print documents in color

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Mangeno1

OpenOffice 4.1.6 Print documents in color

Post by Mangeno1 »

Hello
I hope in this way to get help, I am a new user of OpenOffice and I have created some documents that I want to print in color, but I can in no way get to print in color, only in black and white? How do I change in OpenOffice? The printer I have is an HP Envy 5544 and it prints other documents in color but not OpenOffics documents. is there any good manual for the matter? Thank you in advance
Magnus
 Edit: Removed the email account. 
OpenOffice 4.1.6 / Windows
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.6 Print documents in color

Post by John_Ha »

Check the colour ink cartridges. Can you print from other programs?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Try going to the menu Tools -> Options. Expand the OpenOffice list on the left and choose Print. Is the Convert Colors to Grayscale selected?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Mangeno1

Post by Mangeno1 »

John_Ha wrote:Check the colour ink cartridges. Can you print from other programs?
These are brand new color cartridges and I can print other documents in color but not from OpenOffice ..
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The problem is occured in all of the applications (Writer, Calc, Draw, Impress...)?

Try to export the document into PDF file format, ant then try to print the PDF file...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Set some text to red. Does it print?

Have you suppressed printing images?

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Mangeno1

Post by Mangeno1 »

Zizi64 wrote:The problem is occured in all of the applications (Writer, Calc, Draw, Impress...)?

Try to export the document into PDF file format, ant then try to print the PDF file...
It all follows all the documents in OpenOffice and unfortunately it did not work to print in color with PDF :( Can it all have to do with the printer? HP Envy 5544 I adjusted the cartridges and printed the test page and it becomes in color ..
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

and unfortunately it did not work to print in color with PDF
If you can print pdf-s from other sources in color, then the problem is in the settings of your AOO.

Did you checked the options suggested by FJCC?
Have you tried to reset the user profile as John_Ha suggested it?

My tip: Try the LibreOffice, at least a portable version of it.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Mangeno1

Post by Mangeno1 »

Zizi64 wrote:
and unfortunately it did not work to print in color with PDF
If you can print pdf-s from other sources in color, then the problem is in the settings of your AOO.

Did you checked the options suggested by FJCC?
Have you tried to reset the user profile as John_Ha suggested it?

My tip: Try the LibreOffice, at least a portable version of it.
I am unsure how to do with restoring the user profile, is there any document showing how to proceed? I have tried with LibreOffice, there will be no difference ..
Mangeno1

Post by Mangeno1 »

John_Ha wrote:Set some text to red. Does it print?

Have you suppressed printing images?

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile.
I am unsure how to do with restoring the user profile, is there any document showing how to proceed? I now wrote out a photo and it didn't get in color, HP test page is in color
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I am unsure how to do with restoring the user profile,
There is a description under the link in John_Ha's post.
The place (path) of the User directory is depended on the version of the operating system. Just rename the directory for example to User.old, and the AOO will create a brand new user profile at the next restart. Maybe you need Administrator rights to see and modify the name of the directory.

Try to refresh or reinstall the printer driver.
Can you try the function with an another printer?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In OpenOffice go to /Tools /OpenOffice /Print and under the Printer settings section of that window, on right of the window, you will find a checkbox for "Convert colours to grayscale". Make sure this is unchecked. It may be helpful to close out of OpenOffice and restart it before trying a fresh print.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Mangeno1

Post by Mangeno1 »

RoryOF wrote:In OpenOffice go to /Tools /OpenOffice /Print and under the Printer settings section of that window, on right of the window, you will find a checkbox for "Convert colours to grayscale". Make sure this is unchecked. It may be helpful to close out of OpenOffice and restart it before trying a fresh print.
It is unchecked and I have now reinstalled my printer (HP Envy 5544) the printer has new ink cartridges original from HP, I have uninstalled OpenOffice and taken it home again, the error still remains, just print black and white from OpenOffice and PDF. I also print out a photo and it didn't work with color .. :(I have no idea what to do more? The HP test page prints with color.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Please download and try to print the attached file. It should have text in Red Green and Blue.
Attachments
coloured_text.odt
(9.45 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Mangeno1

Post by Mangeno1 »

RoryOF wrote:Please download and try to print the attached file. It should have text in Red Green and Blue.
The document is not printed in color: (
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

in /File /Print there should be a Properties button: press that. Depending on the exact printer driver in use, you may get a two tabbed window. One tab may be "device"; the list of properties offered depends. There may be one (usually quite near the top of the list) "color/mono". In the righthand pane, select "color" (if "automatic" is offered, you can try that later). Then press Ok and go back to the main Print dialog and see how it prints.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Check all options in Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Print .., and Tools > Options > Writer > Print.
2. Create a new, empty text document. Write some text.
3. Change some text to red.
4. Does it print in red? Is the colour missing? or is it printed black and white?
5. Download and print this .odt. What happens? Is the colour missing? or is it printed black and white?
6. Create a PDF from it. What happens? Is the colour missing? or is it printed black and white?
7. Print the PDF. What happens? Is the colour missing? or is it printed black and white?
8. Open test wordpad.rtf with WordPad (Start > All programs > Accessories > Wordpad). Print. Does it print in red?
 Edit: A thought.

Are you using Windows 10? W10 update has the habit of installing incorrect printer drivers. Go to the manufacturer's web site and download the correct printer driver for your printer model. Install it. Does that fix it?

If 1 - 8 above have not fixed it do it even if you are running W7 or 8. 
test.odt
(15.46 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
test.pdf
(17.61 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
test wordpad.rtf
Open with WordPad.
(264 Bytes) Downloaded 240 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mangeno1

Post by Mangeno1 »

John_Ha wrote:1. Check all options in Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Print .., and Tools > Options > Writer > Print.
2. Create a new, empty text document. Write some text.
3. Change some text to red.
4. Does it print in red? Is the colour missing? or is it printed black and white?
5. Download and print this .odt. What happens? Is the colour missing? or is it printed black and white?
6. Create a PDF from it. What happens? Is the colour missing? or is it printed black and white?
7. Print the PDF. What happens? Is the colour missing? or is it printed black and white?
8. Open test wordpad.rtf with WordPad (Start > All programs > Accessories > Wordpad). Print. Does it print in red?
test.odt
test.odt
test wordpad.rtf
No matter how I do it doesn't work, it just prints out black, white :( I've tested what you said, I created my own document with color red, I wrote out your document and created a PDF but it only came in black and white
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See edit above.
Mangeno1 wrote:No matter how I do it doesn't work, it just prints out black, white
Please be more precise - that is too ambiguous.

You created a PDF. Q1. Did the PDF have colour in it? Q2. Or was everything coloured missing? Q3. or was everything coloured shown in black and white?

Q4. When you print the PDF does the colour print as black and white? Q5. or is everything coloured missing completely?

Q6. When you print the .odt does the colour print as black and white? Q7. or is everything coloured missing completely?

Q8. What happened with the WordPad test file?
Last edited by John_Ha on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mangeno1

Post by Mangeno1 »

John_Ha wrote:See edit above.

Please be more precise.

You created a PDF. Did the PDF have colour in it? Or was everything coloured missing? or was everything coloured black and white?

When you print the PDF does the colour print as black and white? or is everything coloured missing completely?

When you print the .odt does the colour print as black and white? or is everything coloured missing completely?

What happened with the WordPad test file?
The text is included but in black and white, now I wrote out in wordpad.rtf, it gets in black and white, but the text that should be red is in bold black style
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Please answer each individual question asked. I am not asking them because I have nothing better to do - I am trying to diagnose a problem. I need information.

Mangeno1

Post by Mangeno1 »

John_Ha wrote:Please answer each individual question asked. I am not asking them because I have nothing better to do - I am trying to diagnose a problem. I need information.
You created a PDF file. Does the PDF have color in it? Or was everything colored missing? or was everything black and white colored? A: PDF has no color, everything is in black and white, color is completely missing

When you print the PDF does the color print as black and white? or is everything colored missing completely? A: it is printed as black and white, color is completely missing

When you print the .odt does the color print as black and white? or is everything colored missing completely? A: Prints in black and white, color is completely missing

What happened to the WordPad test file? A: It was printed in black and white, the part that should be in red, was printed as bold and in black
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Mangeno1 wrote:What happened to the WordPad test file? A: It was printed in black and white, the part that should be in red, was printed as bold and in black
So it's not just AOO is it? It's WordPad as well. (Assuming you did as asked and opened and printed it with Wordpad.)

Look elsewhere for the solution.

Mangeno1

Post by Mangeno1 »

John_Ha wrote:
Mangeno1 wrote:What happened to the WordPad test file? A: It was printed in black and white, the part that should be in red, was printed as bold and in black
So it's not just AOO is it? It's WordPad as well. (Assuming you did as asked and opened and printed it with Wordpad.)

Look elsewhere for the solution.
I printed it from WordPad and it joins in black and white, the text is with but no red color, does it have to do with the printer? Can I exclude it from OpenOffice?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Check your printer settings; it may be that it has been set to grey scale. The manual for your printer (which is available for download here) has this advice under Printer Settings Tips;

To print a black and white document using only black ink, choose the Paper Type/Quality from the pop-
up menu and choose Grayscale from the Color pop-up menu.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Find the printer manual.
2. Open it.
3. Locate the section which tells you how to print a test page.
4. Follow the instructions given.
5. Describe what happens.