[Solved] Convert time of a cell entry to a fix number

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Kryonox

[Solved] Convert time of a cell entry to a fix number

Post by Kryonox »

Hi
Is it possible that when I enter a number in one cell, I can have the date and time off that imput in another cell. So that the date and time of entry does not change.
Or in other words, I want a certain cell give me the date and time when I entered a number in a specific cell? So, that time is fix and I can do calculations with it.
Thank you
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.6
Windows 7 64bit
RusselB

Re: Convert time of a cell entry to a fix number.

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
OpenOffice doesn't offer this ability without using several steps or a macro. I seem to recall another helper made a macro that handled this for dates, which means it should be able to handle times, as times are only fractions of dates.... wasn't able to find the post with a quick search, but I'll keep trying and/or (hopefully) the helper that did the macro (if I'm not wrong) can post it or link to it.

LibreOffice, I believe, has the ability to return the current date/time as a fixed number, but I'm not as familiar with LibreOffice Calc as I am OpenOffice Calc, and some quick looking and experimentation didn't produce the results I was hoping for.

Thus, for OpenOffice Calc, possibly LibreOffice Calc this ability isn't built in.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Kryonox wrote:Hi
Is it possible that when I enter a number in one cell, I can have the date and time off that imput in another cell. So that the date and time of entry does not change.
Or in other words, I want a certain cell give me the date and time when I entered a number in a specific cell? So, that time is fix and I can do calculations with it.
Thank you
I am not sure I understand this. Are you asking for a way the enter a number in A1 and have a timestamp for time of entry in B1 as an example? If so a bit of googling on Insert timestamp in Openoffice calc will pull up a couple of things but I am not sure how useful they may be.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

RusselB wrote:OpenOffice doesn't offer this ability without using several steps or a macro.
OpenOffice includes the Base component with a HSQL database engine. HSQL can add the current date, time or time stamp to every new record added to a database table.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Kryonox

Post by Kryonox »

First of all thank you all, for your quick reply. Helped me a lot.
Russel: I think I found that macro, just couldn't make it work.... well not yet (I must and will look further into Macro's).
jrkrideau: well you gave me the exact word to google (which I didn't know) ... a Timestamp.
which made me found the solution that works for me ... for the moment that is.
What I did/do:
Tools>Options>Oo Calc>Calculate : Iterations steps set to 1 (do not really understand what this does ....)
and then in the cell which must contain the date/time as a fixed number the formula: =IF(D359="";"";IF(G359="";NOW();G359))
so when I enter something in cell D359, the date/time enters automatically in G359
Thank you all
OpenOffice 4.1.6
Windows 7 64bit