Libre & Open Office Bug

Discuss the presentation application
Steve5

Libre & Open Office Bug

Post by Steve5 »

I updated Libre Office to 6.0.7.3 and Open Office to 4.1.6 and noticed a bug. At least I hope it's a bug and not "That's how it is."

When I'm in either the Normal or Notes screen, the column of slides on the left scroll by themselves whenever the cursor passes over them and my finger is on the right (scroll side) of the touchpad. So the column/slides are going up/down without left-clicking and holding its scroll bar which is how it should be.

Also, in the Notes screen, the slide/notes window goes up/down by itself if my finger touches the touchpad and the cursor is anywhere on that part of the screen; if it's on the column of slides, the slides go up and down.

None of this should be happening. How the heck are you supposed to work on these slides if they're constantly moving?

This can't be "how it is." Shouldn't be. This is a bug, isn't it? If not :crazy: Is there a setting I can change to only allow scrolling when left-clicking and dragging the scroll bar? Imagine that.
Libre Office 6.4.7.2, Open Office 4.1.10, Windows (ugh) 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Libre & Open Office Bug

Post by John_Ha »

It's fine for me with a mouse so it sounds like a Touchpad problem or a Touchpad gestures set up problem.

Disable the touchpad - does it do it with a mouse?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

I don't even have a mouse. And I can't disable the touchpad because I need it to move around the slides and editing box.

If you're on a web page - like this one I'm using now to write this - then yes, you can scroll just by using the touchpad w/o left-clicking and holding the task bar. But working on a slide show is totally different. If I'm in a slide, and want to go to the next one, the column of slides scrolls by itself and I have to go and find the slide I wanted to get into.

And the Notes window keeps moving.

I don't think it was like this before I updated. I would have noticed it.

Although, in Libre, before I updated, when I was in the Notes window and wanted to edit some notes, I'd copy to highlight and delete some text. And in doing so the whole window would move. It was sort of like grabbing and dragging the lower scroll bar to the right. And I'd have to reset/center it. It was a pain but since I didn't copy, highlight and delete often, it wasn't that big of a deal. But this is a big deal because it happens all the time.

This can not be a feature and has to be a bug - in both Libre and OO - right?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Steve5 wrote:This can not be a feature and has to be a bug - in both Libre and OO - right?
No. It's not a bug until it has been confirmed and can be replicated by others in a controlled situation.

It is almost certainly a problem with your PC or your installation. It's extremely unlikely that AOO and LO would both work, and then you upgrade both, and then both have the identical bug after the upgrade! AOO and LO are written by completely different people.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

I figured that this was either "how it is" or something that was happening to everyone (a bug). So from your answer, it sounds like this is not happening to everyone and it's an issue on my end.

I went into my touchpad settings and turned off scrolling and that solved the issue in Libre. Problem is, then I can't scroll from the touchpad on a web pages. So I'd have to change the setting every time I want to use Libre and then change it back when I'm done. But it shouldn't be that way.

So are you saying this isn't happening to anyone else in Libre and OO, and able to scroll with the touchpad on web sites, all without messing with the touchpad settings?

Not sure if this would be connected but there's time while viewing a Youtube video where I'll move the cursor across (or near) the the video scroll bar and it'll zoom way to the right by itself.